New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've ended up with two 'My Documents' listings under my user profile which point to the the same folder, so I cannot just elimate the extra entry. How can I remove the extra listing without deleting the files themselves?
    Thanks, --Larry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryR View Post
    I've ended up with two 'My Documents' listings under my user profile which point to the the same folder, so I cannot just elimate the extra entry. How can I remove the extra listing without deleting the files themselves?
    Thanks, --Larry
    Larry, look closer, one should be, Documents other is My Documents.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hi Larry,

There is normally one folder under your username called My Documents. Their is also a Library named Documents that contains a folder called My Documents that appears to be a complete duplicate of the My Documents under your Username. The Library folder is not a duplication, but is a function of Libraries. The real My Documents files are located under your Username. You can consider the My Documents in the Documents Library as pointers to your real files under your Username. Do not delete anything from either location.

Do you actually see two complete My Documents folders under your Username in Windows Explorer, or are you seeing what I described above?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt responses, Gerald & Roderunner .. .. ..

"Do you actually see two complete My Documents folders under your Username in Windows Explorer, or are you seeing what I described above? " The answer is "YES", there are two complete My Documents Folders. however looking at the properties it is the same folder, just listed twice. I thought there might be an arcane listing in the registry where the user folders are listed and I might simply be able to delete one listing without losing the actual files.

I suppose I could also enlarge my Recycling Bin as large as possible and try deleting one of the folder entries (45GB) and then "restore" if I actually lose the files, or alternatively, copy all files to an external disk, delete both entries and then recreate the folder (and Library) and return the data. The deletion of a listing in the registry would certainly be easier!

Thanks again --Larry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still looking for where in the registry the listing for "My Documents" is located. There is a dual listing under my user name, when trying to merge the two it will not saying that the destination folder is a subset of the other. Both are the same and have the same properties. I would like to delete the duplicate entry without deleting the files.
    Thanks. --Larry

Thanks
    Larry, I think at this point I would do a full image backup of the drive partition, so you can delete one of the "My Documents" folders and restore your image backup if things do not go well. Worth a try as long as you can recover from it if things do go wrong.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure hoiw to append --SOLVED-- to the title of this thread, but actually (and somewhat surprisingly) I've found the solution!

The listing I was looking for is located under: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders

It turns out the value name {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} had a value data of D:\My Documents versus D:\Downloads
    (or in my case, D:\My Documents\Downloads) as it should have been.

Changing the value data has resolved the issue.

Thanks to all of you who reviewed my problem and offered solutions!

--Larry

Thanks
    Glad you found a solution Larry, and thanks for posting back for the benefit of other Loungers.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryR View Post
    I am not sure hoiw to append --SOLVED-- to the title of this thread, but actually (and somewhat surprisingly) I've found the solution!

The listing I was looking for is located under: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders

It turns out the value name {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} had a value data of D:\My Documents versus D:\Downloads

--Larry
    I believe if you choose Edit on a thread you started you will see the Title is able to be modifiedd, at least it was when I just checked one I did.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

But not solved for me

Quote Originally Posted by LocalUser View Post

--Larry
    I have the same issue - screenshot (with a few obfuscations):

and it's not because of the same Registry issue as Larry:

Thanks
    anothermikep - Have a look at the following screenshots:

Folder list showing 2 My Documents (the 2nd of which includes the arrow overlay showing it's actually a shortcut):
    show-both.png
    Click to enlarge

Effect of right-clicking on 1st My Documents and choosing Properties
    Note the General tab appears to show the Type as a File folder. However, the presence of the Location tab shows that it's actually a symbolic link file pointing to a folder (in this case, C:\Users\<logged on user>\Documents on a Windows 7 PC).
    folder.png
    Click to enlarge

Effect of right-clicking on 2nd My Documents and choosing Properties.
    Note the General tab also appears to show the Type as a File folder. However, as noted above the arrow overlay shows it's actually a shortcut (to the symbolic link file above), not a folder itself
    shortcut.png
    Click to enlarge

Both My Documents should take you to the same actual folder, in this case C:\Users\<logged on user>\Documents on a Windows 7 PC.

Both My Documents are just different ways of showing a link to, in this case, the same folder elsewhere.

In your case, it looks like someone may have tweaked Windows 7 to remove the shortcut overlay. The reason I think this is because folders such as Local Settings (which is normally hidden) should also show an arrow overlay.

Hope this helps....
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-15 at 17:53.