New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm new to MSE but for two weeks now, when MSE runs it's scheduled scan, my DNS settings disappear I'm using the standard Open DNS address on an XP Pro SP3 box. Anyone with ideas?

Thanks
    Hi Ed, welcome to the lounge/

Have you installed these in your router/modem ?

[attachment=90392:h.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Ed, welcome to the lounge/

Have you installed these in your router/modem ?

[attachment=90392:h.JPG]
    No, I'm using my router strictly as a gateway. However Those are indeed the addresses I use within Windows. And that's what is disappearing, giving me no DNS service to connect with. The fields are emptied. I just fill those fields and I'm back up.
    My question is why would MSE strip those fields?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Portzline View Post
    No, I'm using my router strictly as a gateway. However Those are indeed the addresses I use within Windows. And that's what is disappearing, giving me no DNS service to connect with. The fields are emptied. I just fill those fields and I'm back up.
    My question is why would MSE strip those fields?
    If your changing the PC's DNS instead of using the default option to get dynamically is because you never rebooted after the change possibly. As to why MSE alters them I've no idea. I suggest adding them to your router.modem and leave PC settings as they are. If you go to OpenDNS home page, it gives instructions on how to set up and start using OpenDNS.
    http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    If your changing the PC's DNS instead of using the default option to get dynamically is because you never rebooted after the change possibly. As to why MSE alters them I've no idea. I suggest adding them to your router.modem and leave PC settings as they are. If you go to OpenDNS home page, it gives instructions on how to set up and start using OpenDNS.
    http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/
    I've been using OpenDNS for more than a year. I've had no problem until I installed MSE.

Thanks
    Hi Ed,

If you go into your Router's setup and change the DNS addresses to the two used by OpenDNS as Roderunner suggested, and then go to XP's Internet Protocol Properties (TCP/IP) page and set your DNS to Obtain DNS server address automatically, you will not likely see anymore problems with your DNS settings disappearing, as your Router will maintain them for your PC.

I use MSE and have never had any interruptions with my DNS at all.

If you believe MSE to be the source of the DNS setting disappearing, then uninstall MSE with an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller Free, and reinstall MSE. However, I would still implement DNS settings as described above.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, putting the settings in the router is not an option. I use static IP addresses on my network. You can't have a static IP and a dynamic DNS in XP. As well, I do not use the DHCP server in my router and you can't set a static DNS without enabling the server. This is the internet gateway that is one of 4 router/switchers/access points in my network. Having this server on would only make my life more interesting.

I was hoping someone might have an idea what might not be playing nice with MSE as I have other boxes running it and so far the DNS settings have stayed in those.