Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone recommend a trusted site to download printer drivers other than the manufacturer's site which doesn't offer them for download? I can find the driver I need at the manufacturer's site but it says it is available to use in my version of windows which does me no good since the printer will not be connected directly to the computer, it will be a network printer and I must have the driver loaded on that computer to install it as a network printer.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Thanks
    I downloaded printer drivers for my wireless printer which is connected to my network router as well. Just download the driver from the manufacturer and install it on your PC. You will need these drivers to communicate with your printer even when connected to the network. This is exactly what I did. You do not say what is the make and model of your printer.Just ensure that the drivers are the same bitness (32 Bit or 64 Bit) as the OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The manufacturer does not offer the driver for download. When I click to download it it say it is already part of my OS. I think that is very strange but I have not found it except at a third party site and I'm not sure I can trust the site thus my inquiry.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    What is the manufacturer and model number of your printer?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    Can anyone recommend a trusted site to download printer drivers other than the manufacturer's site which doesn't offer them for download? I can find the driver I need at the manufacturer's site but it says it is available to use in my version of windows which does me no good since the printer will not be connected directly to the computer, it will be a network printer and I must have the driver loaded on that computer to install it as a network printer.
    Have you tried to add the printer? You should be able to select it as a network printer in the wizard. Then Windows will try to find it. If it correctly identifies the printer it should automatically use the driver.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    What is the manufacturer and model number of your printer?
    It is an HP Photosmart 7550 and HP's WEB site says it has no driver for it in Win 7 (I even looked for one in Vista too) but to use the driver for the Deskjet 5550 printer which is built into Win 7. But I can't access it in Win 7 because the printer is not connected to the printer. After I get the message it is part of Win 7 I can find no way to download it from HP's WEB site.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Have you tried to add the printer? You should be able to select it as a network printer in the wizard. Then Windows will try to find it. If it correctly identifies the printer it should automatically use the driver.

Joe
    Yes Joe that is the first thing I tried and what you say works well if the printer is connected to the computer. Since this printer is not connected to the computer (it is connected to another computer in my network) the "add printer" wizard does not offer a list of supported printers. Instead it asks me to direct it to the folder where the printer driver is located. I had the same problem installing a Brother printer but was able to download a driver from Brother's Web site that was designed for Vista, put it into a folder on the Win 7 machine, and direct the "add printer" wizard to the folder when it asked me. It worked perfectly so I wanted to install the Photosmart printer the same way but can't get a driver directly from HP which seems very strange to me. Of course my printer is out of warranty so I can't even get email support to ask them how to download the driver for the Deskjet 5550 printer unless I wanted to pay for the privilege of asking them the question.

Unless someone knows how to fool the wizard and direct it to wherever Win 7 stores the drivers the above solution is all I could come up with.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    Yes Joe that is the first thing I tried and what you say works well if the printer is connected to the computer. Since this printer is not connected to the computer (it is connected to another computer in my network) the "add printer" wizard does not offer a list of supported printers. Instead it asks me to direct it to the folder where the printer driver is located. I had the same problem installing a Brother printer but was able to download a driver from Brother's Web site that was designed for Vista, put it into a folder on the Win 7 machine, and direct the "add printer" wizard to the folder when it asked me. It worked perfectly so I wanted to install the Photosmart printer the same way but can't get a driver directly from HP which seems very strange to me. Of course my printer is out of warranty so I can't even get email support to ask them how to download the driver for the Deskjet 5550 printer unless I wanted to pay for the privilege of asking them the question.

Unless someone knows how to fool the wizard and direct it to wherever Win 7 stores the drivers the above solution is all I could come up with.
    When you try to add a network printer and Windows 7 does not find one, did you click on "the printer that I want isn't listed"? You click on that and enter \\attached_computer_name\printer_name. If all is well with your networking Windows 7 should find it and connect to it.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    When you try to add a network printer and Windows 7 does not find one, did you click on "the printer that I want isn't listed"? You click on that and enter \\attached_computer_name\printer_name. If all is well with your networking Windows 7 should find it and connect to it.

Joe
    Windows 7 always finds the printer but it can't find the driver and that is where the wizard stops and asks me to direct it to the folder containing the driver. As soon as I click on the printer a dialog box pops up saying "Windows can't find a driver for the Photosmart 7550 series on the network. To locate one manually, click OK otherwise click cancel and consult your network administrator or the printer's manufacturer's website." That is where I need the driver in a local folder to direct this wizard to it.

Thanks
    H Lewton

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 only comes with a handful of native printer drivers. In the printer wizard, when you are prompted for a driver location, select "Windows Update". It will download the latest set of Windows 7 native printer drivers, which is huge compared to what is shipped with Windows. If its not there, you may have to use the next closest driver, or (shudder the thought) use the HP Universal Driver.
    Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck De La Rosa View Post
    Windows 7 only comes with a handful of native printer drivers. In the printer wizard, when you are prompted for a driver location, select "Windows Update". It will download the latest set of Windows 7 native printer drivers, which is huge compared to what is shipped with Windows. If its not there, you may have to use the next closest driver, or (shudder the thought) use the HP Universal Driver.
    I have already done that when I first got the machine. Still it does no good because the wizard never gets to that point either. It stops at the message I posted above and from the experience I had installing the Brother printer the only way around it is to have the drivers in a local folder. I have found no way to direct it to wherever Windows 7 stores the drivers even after following your suggestion.

Thanks.
    H Lewton