Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My 'oh-so-knowledgeable' offspring has just scoffed at my AV query (change from AVG to MSE?), saying "why do I use a AV program when a software firewall eg Zonealarm, is all that is needed ?"

He has now come back saying that AV programs will disappear in the next couple of years in favour of firewalls.

Can I have some 'real' guidance please - this would apply to one machine running Vista and the other XP in a domestic situation.

Rob

Thanks
    Not likely.
    I could see someone who was realy on the ball as far as computer security and overall computer knowledge not
    necessarily needing to have an active AV program installed, but for most people in general...it's not going to happen.
    Look for malware becoming more and more sophisticated with an expanded use of rootkits in the future.
    Firewalling won't protect against ignorance or stupidity on behalf of the user. Nothing will.

You can cure ignorance easily enough, but not stupidity.

Proper data backup and drive imaging should figure more prominently in personal security and maintenance.
    If all your personal data is backed up properly then your operating system should be completely expendable
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Amen to what Clint said. If the average user thinks a good firewall is all that is necessary to prevent malware infection on his computer, then he should go with the absolute best firewall available.....pulling the Ethernet plug and disabling any WiFi capability. "Most people in general" are not equipped to safely traverse the Internet without full protection.

And even the best security software offering "full protection" is just not enough. I get more computers brought to me infested with malware than any other problems due to poor online decisions made by average users.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, in fact, I think its more important to have a good A-V that works well with a system and provides as much protection as possible, and a hardware firewall is all that's needed for the few attacks that are possible from that angle. My attitude is always not the battle of the good and the bad software that might take place on the computer, its my brain vs. the malware creator's brain; how is he or she trying to trip me up or trick me? If it slips by me, the a-v is a much weaker defense.

The best analogy I've heard in general is that one can go out and purchase a car with the highest safety rating on the planet, and promptly drive it into a tree on the way home!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right - well that's got rid of the son's input !! I'll now just wait until his wailing starts, and I can then say I told you so !! Very many thanks indeed for your replies, guys.

Unfortunately, in terms of computer geekism, my son succeeded in sorting out my wife's laptop the other day where I really wasn't quite sure where to start so I have to pay some attention to him now.

Anyway, the second question (asked indirectly!) of the original post is whether MSE is any better than AVG ?

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks
    There is no answer to that question, only opinion and possibly quite subjective ones at that.
    Sure, you may have someone show you charts and statistic but in the end it come down to the user.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Graham View Post
    Right - well that's got rid of the son's input !! I'll now just wait until his wailing starts, and I can then say I told you so !! Very many thanks indeed for your replies, guys.

Unfortunately, in terms of computer geekism, my son succeeded in sorting out my wife's laptop the other day where I really wasn't quite sure where to start so I have to pay some attention to him now.

Anyway, the second question (asked indirectly!) of the original post is whether MSE is any better than AVG ?

Cheers
    Rob
    One consolation you might take in all this is that we never stop learning. I've been doing this work for over 15 years and there is always something new, always a new way to do something, and always challenges to our paradigms. Once your son learns that, it'll humble him, but more important, it'll make him a better geek.
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Graham View Post

Cheers
    Rob
    Most people here think they are equally effective. Cost-wise, MSE is a great deal, since it is free. But some people don't feel good about Microsoft providing their protection.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)