New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Hi everyone,
    I have been using Google Deskbar for many years now and is no longer supported and is also acting strange here lately. Is there an equivalent out there without getting the Google Sidebar. I did try that but it's way too much for my needs. I have Windows XP pro, SP3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using a modern browser like Chrome - just enter search items in the address bar and hit return. In Firefox the search bar is right at the top. The new internet explorer allows searches right in the address bar to. I dont' know about previous versions as I dropped IE back at version 6 as it's such an insecure and greatly exploited browser.
    What if your local back-up disks are stolen or damaged (fire, flood, earthquake)
    What are you going to do?
    LOCAL and OFFSITE back-up - the only true way to protect your data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I realize the address bar in browsers but prefer to be able to search without opening browser. I know I'm probably reaching for the unattainable....but have to try. If I'm not mistaken, there was an article out there somewhere awhile back that explained a way to extract the "search bar" from Google Side Bar, but didn't bookmark it at the time and havn't been able to find it since.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this will help you. Here is a quote from a Google site.....
    "If you'd rather not have a sidebar, you can minimize it into either a deskbar -- which you can use to keep a small search box right in your Windows taskbar -- or a floating deskbar -- which includes a search box that floats above all other windows and can be dragged anywhere you want on your desktop. Both these options allow you to quickly launch applications or search your computer and the web."

From this website .... Google Desktop features

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah yes, but thats what I am trying to avoid...having "all that" just running in the background wasting resources. Thats why I liked the Google Deskbar. But don't get me wrong, I appreciate your reply.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You could try a different search engine such as Everything. Several Loungers have recommended it in other posts. It appears to be fast and lightwieght.

Note: It does NOT index file content. See Everything FAQ for more information.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No but thanks tho. I'm mainly looking for a "web" search substitute. well I'll end this thread by saying thanks to all who tried to help me on this. I guess I'm just a picky one on this LOL

Thanks
    I do not know which version of Windows you are using, but there are a variety of Desktop Gadgets available for Windows Vista and Windows 7 that are Web "search engines". Have a look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ZA/w...nalize/gadgets

Edit: For example, one of them is a "Google" gadget. Others are "Bing" and "Multisearchit" etc.

Further edit: Sincere Apologies: I had a blind moment. I see you are using Wndows XP......
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I miss the Google Deskbar too and don't know what to do.

Until you use it, people don't understand the Google Deskbar and the beauty of it. One reason it wasn't successful, was that the initial configuration wasn't nearly as good as if you simplified it. It was like having the search window of Google on your taskbar, that you could search using a key combination (to get to the window of the Google search on the taskbar), from any application, ex. a word processor, and instantly be taken to the page you searched for in Google. Google probably axed it partly because it eliminated the need to go to their initial Google search page, and view related ads to your search. Instead, it took you right to the page you wanted. I'd even use it to check the spelling or definitions of unusual words that weren't in spell check.

Never having to start up your browser, never having to place your cursor in a window. It was super convenient. Now I just got Windows 8 and it doesn't work, even with applications that restore the taskbar and start button.

The Google Deskbar was even handy for searching in Google. In Windows 8, the Address bar may be pinned to the task bar, but this isn't really the same at all. mad.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I figured out something as a subsistute for Google deskbar

With my new Windows 8 computer, after spending a few days setting it up and looking for a substitute for Google deskbar, which I used on Vista, I found the "address" window on the Windows 8 taskbar was not working well, and I tried key combinations to open up google as well.

The best alternative for me was just to use IE, which allows pinning any web page (in my case, Google search) to the taskbar. If you put it first in order on the taskbar, you can also open it with Windows key + 1. It'll do.