Lounger
    Thanks
    These problems started recently (last 2 or 3 weeks) in an otherwise rock solid and stable machine.

1. When I rename a file, the hourglass appears and the machine display dims. Everything freezes for 15 to 30 seconds or more and the error message "Windows Explorer is not responding" (see attached) appears. I just wait until the hourglass goes away and then everything is back to normal. These are tiny 10 kb or 100 kb files, so size is not the issue. This has happened with PDF and XLS files, but the problem is not reproducible, i.e. it does not happen every time.

2. Copy or moving a file also sometimes causes this freezing behavior, again the files are tiny and it happens sporadically copying from one folder to another locally.

System is up-to-date with all patches, security updates etc. Have run the usual diagnostic routines (chkdsk, defrag, Ccleaner, system file checker etc.) Event logs don't show anything out of the ordinary.

Appreciate any suggestions.
    Jay
    Fujitsu laptop, dual core Intel 2.0 Ghz, 4 GB ram, Windows 7 (32 bit), 60 GB free hard drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Jay, have you tried deleting browsing history ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I've had similar sporadic explorer exe hangs...

Try searching for the log here:
    C:\Users\*YOU*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive \AppHang_explorer.exe_4ebc997ded6b526de83ecefb71f2 e362b073132_082dfb7e
    Right click on the "Report.wer" file and either open in Notepad, or send to Notepad.

The log can be cryptic at best, but it may point to an offending app. In my case it was:
    FriendlyEventName=Stopped responding and was closed
    ConsentKey=AppHangXProcB1
    AppName=Windows Explorer (which doesn't tell me a whole lot)
    AppPath=C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

It should also be present in the Event Viewer under Windows Logs _Applications.

You may attempt to refresh Explorer.exe by opening Taskmanager and ending explorer and then re initializing it again.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.