Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Good evening!

I'm sitting here looking at a new Seagate "Expansion" 1GB external drive. Although I purchased it a week ago, it remains unopened. I bought it intending to use it to store back up images as well as some precious 20 year-old home videos that I have recently captured to my internal HD from VHS. I intend to edit those later, but want them off of the HD because they are BIG files. I already have a WD My Passport Essential 320GB portable external HD, but it is full.

Now my question. I am reluctant to open the above mentioned Seagate as the consensus in other forums seems to be that the "Expansion" is particularly prone to crashing, and I may return it. I have used other stuff that was panned on the forums without problem. And I realize that most of those who post on such forums are those who have had a bad experience. Don't always hear the success stories. I was attracted to the "Expansion" because it is drag and drop; no back up software. Has anyone any experience with this HD? Are there better choices? I've heard that the software on most external HDs can be disabled. If so, is this a safe practice? The Best Buy guys didn't have a clue about HDs. I spent $69.00 for it and was pleased with the price, but will spend more if need be for more peace of mind. I'll await any advice before going forward.

Thanks for any help,
    John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Thanks
    Are you sure of the size 1GB seems very small for an external HD. I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go USB 1 TB HD which I can whole heartedly endorse. Works wonderfully to store all my Images on. Very pleased. Plus I like the physical size of this HD. It easily fits in my PC case so I can take it where ever I go.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Juergens View Post
    I'm sitting here looking at a new Seagate "Expansion" 1GB external drive. Although I purchased it a week ago, it remains unopened. I bought it intending to use it to store back up images as well as some precious 20 year-old home videos that I have recently captured to my internal HD from VHS. I intend to edit those later, but want them off of the HD because they are BIG files. I already have a WD My Passport Essential 320GB portable external HD, but it is full.

Thanks for any help,
    John,
    Hello... Question... Is your PC a desk top? If so have you considered an "internal HD" Some PC's have room for additional hard drives. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi John,

I've not used your specific external hard drive model, so I cannot confirm reliability. However, most external hard drives come with some form of backup software, and every model I have used does not require the use of the included backup software, and drag 'n drop can be used to copy any desired files to the external drive.

In fact, I have deleted all backup software on the external USB hard disks I have purchased as I do not use the included software.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    You appear to be worried about the term "expansion" rather than the hard disk which the unit contains! All it is is a hard disk but with a USB interface, rather than more directly connected within the PC.

I would consider it far more important that you seem to be treating this hard disk as the only form of backup of what you consider to be important files. For complete backup you must use multiple devices and multiple media, wherever possible. The difficulty is that your files probably extend past the capacities of both DVD storage (perhaps even Dual Layer or BluRay) and of USB Flash Drives, which would normally be recommended as supplementary backup mechanisms to a hard disk.

Remember the motto, that "every storage medium and device will fail, the only question being 'When?' ". That's why you hedge your bets by having several different media types - so you aren't hit by a bad batch of (say) UFDs...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    You appear to be worried about the term "expansion" rather than the hard disk which the unit contains! All it is is a hard disk but with a USB interface, rather than more directly connected within the PC.

I would consider it far more important that you seem to be treating this hard disk as the only form of backup of what you consider to be important files. For complete backup you must use multiple devices and multiple media, wherever possible. The difficulty is that your files probably extend past the capacities of both DVD storage (perhaps even Dual Layer or BluRay) and of USB Flash Drives, which would normally be recommended as supplementary backup mechanisms to a hard disk.

Remember the motto, that "every storage medium and device will fail, the only question being 'When?' ". That's why you hedge your bets by having several different media types - so you aren't hit by a bad batch of (say) UFDs...
    I'm with BATcher on this. Disk space is cheap. Use multiple drives. More and more of our lives are on our PCs and laptops, photos, videos, music, financial data, etc. Why leave it to chance? I personally tend to stay away from prepackaged external USB drives. They aren't bad per say, but I think you can get more bang for your buck by purchasing a bare bones drive and a external enclosure. One benefit of this is that you can partition it the way you want, and there is no built in software to use up part of the disk. To take it a step further, I know some people who rotate drives and keep one off site at a trusted friend's house, or in a safe deposit box.
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post

[attachment=90417:Seagate Expansion.jpg]

"Expansion" is the name of this particular Seagate product line. It is packaged cheaply and looks to be a bare-bones product, which I don't mind, but am not wild about it having only a 1 year limited warranty. Quite heavy to lift, too. As I said above, a lot of complaints about this particular drive on some forums I checked out. At $69.99, my feeling is that I should be able to get something with a better warranty for the same price or a bit more.

Agree on the multiple back-up strategy. I intend to clean up the 320GB external drive and double back- up everything vital onto both drives, and keep one at my daughter's house. I'll also put the home videos on DVD, just to be safe. Thanks for your good advice and concern.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Are you sure of the size 1GB seems very small for an external HD. I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go USB 1 TB HD which I can whole heartedly endorse. Works wonderfully to store all my Images on. Very pleased. Plus I like the physical size of this HD. It easily fits in my PC case so I can take it where ever I go.
    Ted,

That one looks like it will do nicely (yes, 1GB should be 1TB). Are you using your's sans the software?

John

P.S.

I really like Ted and Chuck's combo, but don't think I'm slick enough for that set up!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Juergens View Post
    Ted,

That one looks like it will do nicely (yes, 1GB should be 1TB). Are you using your's sans the software?

John

P.S.

I really like Ted and Chuck's combo, but don't think I'm slick enough for that set up!
    I did not use any Seagate software because I already had Acronis. I really like the size of the Freeagent Go. Very easy to carry around. Set up is a breeze because in essence there is no setup. I connect the Ext HD through my USB port, Windows asigns a drive letter (usually the next available) then I use my Imaging app and tell the app where to place the Image (Ext HD) and press proceed. That's it. Done in less than 1/2 hour including validating the Image. Just be sure that whatever app you use for Imaging, you use this app to create a Repair Disk. (see my Acronis 2011 instructions) Now WHEN I screw something up, I use my up to date Image to restore my OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Something to consider about backing up your photo data...

I also have a Seagate FreeAgent USB drive. The software that comes with it is Acronis imaging software; I use this to create an image of my operating system drive (data is on another HD in the computer case). I also have a Sabrent USB drive that I use to backup my data drive. Acronis is not a good choice for backing up data because it is compressed and not directly accessible. I wanted to be able to access the data on demand without even having to launch WinZip or such; I wanted a straight copy of the data.

Drag & drop does not work reliably for copying large quantities of data - Windows Explorer tends to get tired. I knew this (from past experience) and dropped to a command line, issued VERIFY ON, and used the XCOPY command to copy the data; this method also failed - I got an out of memory error. Apparently Cobian Backup (and similar programs) can do the job - it is not a 'synchronize' program, it copies directories and files you specify. I got a copy, but did not try it out because I had already manually copied over the remaining 25GB or so of the 130GB of data I was backing up.

I just wanted to give you a warning to not try to drag the entire directory of data if it is large - break the process up into chunks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    in this thread,
    maybe someone has a clue how to get my aging but very satisfactory MB (Elitegroup PT800CE-A with a 3gHz processor and a 200gB SATA1 drive).
    and SATA1 ( 2 drive slots) and should be able to talk eSATA to an external HD box - I bought one from Sandberg that talks ESATA2 or USB2 - I think I have covered most angles, setting jumpers on the drive to slow it down to 1500MB/s etc-
    The PC simply does not recognise the esata connection and the 1 tB drive- Nor does it recognise the 1tB drive when connecting to the internal SATA - I tried several drives from different makers- no go.
    the USB connection works fine with a smaller drive
    what to do ? Id hate to discard of the 3GHz machine that works so well. hints , anyone ?
    best, musiklab in denmark.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd be concerned if the only backup was a lone hard drive. Although undeniably they are very reliable these days, it is a definite law of the Universe that if your computer goes down, you'll find the hard drive broken too!

My solution though is quite simple. I use two external hard drives. My 'Archive' drive is principally for all those important long-term storage items I need to keep, family photos, important correspondence, music and documents, etc.

The second external HDD is used for a more conventional backup using True Image. I create a backup image of both my main computer and the Archive drive at least monthly, sometimes more frequently if I have important new items to store.

My external drives are dual USB/eSATA and I use eSATA which is considerably faster and more reliable than USB. If you don't have external eSATA ports on your computer, you can get a dual port SATA to eSATA backplate for your PC for just 3.27 from eSataBackplate This is a backplate that connects 2 of your spare motherboard SATA ports to two eSATA ports on the backplate.

With this belt and braces arrangement, it doesn't matter if the computer and one of the external drives die as I still have everything on the other source.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know nothing about the Expansion, but have purchased other Seagate products, specifically their NAS. It was a disaster. It did not work as it was supposed to. It is supposed to work for up to 5 computers, but if you install it on 5 computers, and then retire one of the 5, there is no way to unistall the product so that you can re-install it on a new 5th computer. Virtually zero tech support, and the little that they did offer was totally non-responsive to my question and problem. I urge you not to buy from Seagate. In the end, I bought from Western Digital and have been very happy with their support and the hard drive that I bought from them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast