New Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Windows 7 Home Premium edition, a search is in the Documents Library always returns the message “No items match you search.” This is true for all libraries, whether a newly created one or the original ones after pressing “Restore Defaults.” All the files are on the C: drive of a single computer. The results are the same whether I am logged on as a standard user or as an administrator.

Windows 7 searches as expected when I am in a regular folder such as “My Documents.”

I have not found a solution or a discussion of the problem in this form on the Internet. As best I can tell, the files are correctly indexed for searching, but the libraries are somehow cut off from that index. Rebuilding the index made no difference. The Indexing troubleshooter found no problem. I hope someone here can help.

Thanks,

Graeme

Thanks
    Hi Graeme,

Inside the Libraries folder, do you see My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders? If not, then those locations have been removed from Libraries, which will produce the No items match your search error message. To add those folders back to Libraries, go to each of the above named folders under C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents (for example) and right click to select Include in Library. Then just select the appropriate Library (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos) in the pop out menu. Once your four folders are restored to the Libraries, search should return results.

The Documents Library only contains folders and files that are in the C:\Users\Username\My Documents folder. When you go to Windows Explorer to select Libraries, the Search box in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer is labeled Search Libraries. If you enter a word or phrase in the Search box that is contained in one or more of your documents, the search list returned will show you all the files containing those words (if "In indexed locations, search file names and contents" has been selected under Folder Options > Search tab > What to search). However, when you look at the returned search list, the path listed for each search hit will not mention Libraries, but will show you C\:Users\YourUserName\My Documents\\folder name\file name because that is the location in which the file actually resides. The Libraries contain folders that point to your actual files under C:\Users.

I hope this makes sense, and helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it does not solve my problem. The folders you described are visible, the Search option in Folders and Search Options are marked as you describe. The Search box does say "Search Libraries." The problem is that when I do a search there, I always get the message "No items match your search." However, if I go outside of the Libraries -- for example, to My Documents folder (the search box says "Search My Documents") -- the search performs as expected.

I cannot find a way to get Search to perform as you described when the search is from within a Libarry nor do I have any idea why it is not performing as expected.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Just to double check, using the "Indexing Options" applet did you you verify that all the folders you need are selected to be included in the index?

Have you check the security properties for the folders to make sure your userid has access?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When logged on as an administrator the Indexing Options show that all user files except AppData are indexed. This is confirmed because searching directly in the folder works as expected. It is only when searching in a LIbrary that the problem occurs. The properties for libraries does not appear to have a security tab. The original folders all allow access by my administrative and standard user identities.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme2 View Post
    When logged on as an administrator the Indexing Options show that all user files except AppData are indexed. This is confirmed because searching directly in the folder works as expected. It is only when searching in a LIbrary that the problem occurs. The properties for libraries does not appear to have a security tab. The original folders all allow access by my administrative and standard user identities.
    While it is true that the Libraries themselves, referring to the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and any other Library a user creates does not have a security tab, all folders/files that are included in Libraries do have a security tab where you can check permissions. By default, every folder/file in the Users folders are indexed except those in Appdata, and My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos are included in the four default Libraries. Not all files that are indexed are automatically included in a Library. However, all files included in a Library are added to the index if they are not already indexed.

If you check and change, add, or remove permissions on the security tab in one of the User folder/files in My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, or My Videos, you will see the same changes take effect in the Library folders/files. And any security permissions changes made in any folder/file in one of the four default Libraries, will also be reflected in the Users My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders/files.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Graeme,

Have you checked the Indexing Options page to see if any Users folders have become unselected and therefore removed from Indexing?

Go to Control Panel and start Indexing Options. You will see the panel shown as Fig. 1 below. Click on the Modify button.

[attachment=90465:Indexing Options Modify.JPG]
    Fig. 1

Change selected locations will come up as shown in Fig. 2 below.

[attachment=90466:Change Selected Locations for Indexing.JPG]
    Fig. 2

Click the Users button as marked red to show the Users in the pane above it. Note that the Users folder is checked. Expand the Users folder to reveal all Users. Then expand your User Name as shown in Fig. 3 below.

[attachment=90469:Change Selected Locations for Indexing 2.JPG]
    Fig. 3

Select any checked folder to reveal the folders and files within it as in my example of My Documents>CLST & Misc. Note that My Documents is checked as well as the CLST & Misc folder. When these were checked, every folder and every file within each folder were check-marked automatically, and so were included in indexing. However, the folders Acronis True Image 2010 and Brian Iraq have since been unchecked, and therefore excluded from indexing.

Have you drilled down in this manner to confirm that all your My Documents files are included in indexing? It is possible that some process has removed a number of your My Documents files from indexing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The indexing options show that all user files for my standard and administrator accounts are indexed except for AppData. No folder appears to have had its security changed; I checked for several key folders. Also, as proof, searching in "My Documents" produces results as expected, but searching the "Documents" Library, which includes the folder "My Documents" always returns the message “No items match you search.”

My suspecion is that there is some type of disconnect between the libraries and the Windows 7 Search function. The most likely suspects, as your questions suggest, would be folders that have been taken out of the search or removed from the Search Options using the security options for those folders. Neither of these seems to have happened soI can't even guess where or what is causing the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Graeme2,

I notice that you are referencing My Documents. I'm assuming here that you are using a system where you have either done an in-place upgrade or you, like me, have moved your My Documents folder off the C: drive in a previous version of Windows. The reason for this assumption is that in Win 7 now calls the folder just Documents.

If this is the case have you added your My Documents folder to the Documents Library?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I installed Windows 7 over Vista. "My Documents" is shown as indexed in the advance options of the Indexing Options window.

As I have said, when I search the folder directly, Windows search acts as expected and finds whatever I search on. However, the same search from within the Documents Library comes up "No items match your search." The only exception is if the search term in in a OneNote folder. The top level Indexing Options Included Locations includes OneNote along with Start Menu and Users (excluding AppData).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have resolved the problem, but still don't know what happened.

As an administrator, I deleted all the "Included Locations" in the Indexing Options window. Then, using the Advanced tab, I selected the same ones (Start Menu, Users) using the "Select New" option. After indexing was complete, the search function worked as expected in Libraries.

Not mentioned previously in this thread, I had tried the Advanced option Troubleshooting to "Delete and rebuild index." It had not solved the search in Libraries problem.

Also, when I looked at the Indexing Options after indexing was completed, Windows had also explicitly added "Internet Explorer History," "Microsoft OneNote," and "Microsoft Outlook."

Thanks
    Hi graeme2,

I would have thought deleting and rebuilding the index would have solved the problem. So now you have uncovered another, very effective means to deal with a situation that deleting and rebuilding the index should have fixed. I've not seen this before.

Thank you for posting back the steps you took. This will undoubtedly be valuable to others in days to come. I am sure we will see this issue again.
    Deadeye81