New Lounger
    Thanks
    Over a year ago on recommendation from Fred Langa I signed up to the Tourbus.com newsletter.

I used tourbus as a prefix to my domain name so that, in the event of my email address been given away I would be able to tell which site gave it away. I only ever used this prefix once when signing up for the newsletter but I have just received junk mail addressed directly to tourbus at my domain.

I have sent a copy to the webmaster@tourbus.com but I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem with the tourbus.com site or any other apparently reputable sites.

Also if you are considering signing up to the tourbus newsletter you may want to think twice or use a disposable email address.

Thanks
    Before complaining too vociferously, please consider the possibility that the address was discovered through directory harvesting techniques that try a huge dictionary of terms against an SMTP server to detect all valid addresses.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I take your point about trying a huge amount of dictionary terms but if this was the case I would expect to receive lots of other spam with differing prefixes to my domain name. I only got the one spam email and that was addressed directly to tourbus at my domain name.

Im not saying they gave my address away on purpose but I do believe they didn't keep it safe.

Still no reply from them yet but I will let you know if I do get one.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Before complaining too vociferously, please consider the possibility that the address was discovered through directory harvesting techniques that try a huge dictionary of terms against an SMTP server to detect all valid addresses.

Further information on this!

I have now received spam emails addressed directly to wordribbontips@mydomain and excelribbontips@mydomain

I did sign up to both the newsletters at wordribbon.tips.net and excelribbon.tips.net over 12 months ago and unsubscribed from them soon after.

It's too much of a coincidence that someone would guess 3 email prefixes that I only ever used once over 12 months ago.

I also noticed that the unsubscribe pages on tourbus, wordribbon.tips.net and excelribbon.tips.net look exactly the same. Possibly these sites are linked in some way or use the same insecure on-line storage for email addresses. I do not understand why they would even save my email address after I have unsubscribed, this would be against data protection laws in the UK.

The websites concerned have ignored my emails to them regarding this.

Do not give these sites your email address, they do not keep it safe and clearly do not care.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere that the sites can be reported to because its clear they are going to do nothing about it.