Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all, the Windows speech recognition engine in Win 7 is causing problems with some game software. The speech engine is not needed. I am unable to find out how to remove it from the Win 7 operating system.

The speech" engine" will never be needed in my applications. Would anyone be able to tell me how to remove it from Win 7 home premium. Regards Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Since speech recognition is builtin to Windows 7 you may not be able to remove it. However, you can disable it. See How to change Windows 7 speech recognition for more details.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schulze View Post
    Hi all, the Windows speech recognition engine in Win 7 is causing problems with some game software. The speech engine is not needed. I am unable to find out how to remove it from the Win 7 operating system.

The speech" engine" will never be needed in my applications. Would anyone be able to tell me how to remove it from Win 7 home premium. Regards Peter
    Peter,
    Hello.... There are ways to remove anything from your "OS" ...before i tell you how, i have to echo what has been advised (to me) by many on this forum ..... and is sound advice. Make sure you have a recent "full image backup " before proceeding, and have full confidence in being able to recover to it. ( talking 3rd party programs , some are free and work ) not the "mickey mouse " one that comes with "7"
    1. You will need a few tools... some free some not.
    2. Download and run the program "everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ free, and set it up for just to look at just your C: drive and type in "Speech"
    3. You will then have a semi complete list of things that have to do with that program .... be selective and check out each entry, before deleting
    4. You then will find that you need another program called "Unlocker" v 1.9 for 32 or 64 bit Free from "file hippo" as "7" wont let you delete some things without a fight. Your security may "freak out " trying to download this ...but it's safe...
    5. When your finished "unlocking and deleting " you will need to run a program called jv-16 (macecraft) not free but worth every $FRN$ ( Federal Reserve Note Debt Instrument) This will remove the hundreds if not thousands of now "orphaned" registry entries.

That is the basic idea ... you may have to use "everything" using different words ...like recognition , etc. to find them all... Good luck and you will probably make a few wrong deletions along the learning path ...hence the "full backup image" Keep in mind that some OS programs are "linked" to each other and no longer will work .... it will all be trial and error, and you might have to leave a few things alone .... The best part .... you then will have done something that few would have the "guts" to even think about, never mind actually trying....and your OS will be as YOU wish. I have personally removed many of the "un deletable " bits of the MS "sacred cow ".... doesn't run any better ... but it makes me feel better and my "doc says that I'm "making progress"
    Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I believe you should leave the WinSXS folder alone. Do what you wish but before you mess with the WinSXS folder you should read:

Don't Trust All Your Eyes Tell You - applies to Windows 7 even though the article was written about Vista

What is in the WinSXS directory - also written about Vista but applicable to Windows 7

Disk Space - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

The secret of the WinSXS folder

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Fred and Joe, I have decided not to go where no one has dared to go. Thank you Fred for the detailed explanation and the tools. I have JV 16 and Unlocker. So, I will not dare the Dragon. Regards Peter