Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to open Silverlight and can't! It is listed in my Programs in the Start Menu. When I right click and select Open, a a Configure Silverlight window appears, but that's it.

I haven't opened it before. My computer runs Windows Vista, Home Premium, SP2.

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm no expert in this but I was under the impression that the Silverlight you probably have installed is an enabler that allows you to view embedded Silverlight files when browsing web pages.

You need to use a .NET programming tool like Visual Studio to actually create and edit Silverlight files.

Why do you want to open this application directly?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha. That makes perfect sense and I'm sure you're right. Thank you!

The reason I was trying to open it: trying to learn more about the program's capabilities since I'm trying to decide the best program to use for a web-based training program that will have a lot of graphics and motion. Had been researching Flash; then, heard about Silverlight and, just yesterday, html5!! As I am far from a techie, the whole thing has me quite confused! Flash programmers say it's the best; Silverlight programmers vote for Silverlight; web forums contain rants by lots of programmers, depending on which program they use ... and on and on. Thought seeing Silverlight for myself would help me make a more objective decision!

Appreciate your response. And if you happen to know of a place which could help with such a decision, that would be terrific!

Linda

Thanks
    Silverlight isn't like your run of the mill media player. I've never known it to be open in the way you describe.
    It will open and run in web pages like Netflix et al. ...if it is installed correctly.
    Otherwise it will open as a properties box for the sake of some limited configuration.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the further clarification, Clint. Yes, looks like what I "opened" was a properties box with tabs for some configuration. Now realize I need .NET in order to use Silverlight to create our program. Back to research...

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would be looking the capability of the authoring tools first rather than the output formats.

Adobe Captivate is one player in this market - http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate but you will find reviews which prefer Articulate and Lectora
    Review hot on Lectora
    Review hot on Articulate

I haven't used any of these tools so I can't advise in any way.

DebugMode Wink and Techsmith Jing are freeware tools that I have used for creating software demos but they might not have as much capability in actual authoring as Captivate.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia