New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I shut down Win 7 10/26, 4:20PM MDT, the Shut down button had the shield on it, and an update was installed. Curious, when I then re-started and looked in the system event log, it reports that a Windows Update for KB976902 was installed successfully. I have WU set to ask before installing updates, but I never was asked about this one other than the button being flagged. Looking for info about it using search engines reveals that KB976902 is a so-called "black hole" update that prepares Windows 7 for SP1. Anyone here have more info? The O/S seems to work just fine afterward, but as with the WGU fiasco, I don't like things pushed at me without my say-so, which is why I have WU set up to offer, rather than forcibly do it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Good question as I am looking for information on this subject also. My system notified me but I haven't installed it yet and have seen some bad things about it in different places.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Frightening to read the description

I have mine set to 'Check for updates but let me choose'
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    All four updates were installed on my two Windows 7 computers last night, and so far, everything is performing normally. It seems that with KB976902, we have little option, as it will be needed to continue receiving updates at some point.

This is one of those situations that a good image backup comes in handy.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerald but I think I will wait till tomorrow to see what the lady has to say about it in the news letter.

Thanks
    I've installed all mine, including KB976902, last night with no issues. I have WU set to notify only.
    If your concerned, then hold off a bit and get more information about them when Susan B does her next Patch Update article.
    The available info on this seems to be more speculative then fact...It never hurts to wait.

KB976902
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just read S. Bradly's article and she seems to think it best to wait a bit till more information is forth coming.

Thanks
    I also installed this update without a single hitch. Running fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday I tried to go to KB link and nothing was there. Don't exist, so I take the easy and hide it for now. Today it is not in the hidden any longer.
    MS pulled it so wasn't worth installing

Lounger
    Thanks
    My notice icon has also disappeared so wonder if that was caused by MS pulling it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Win 7 is now working fine after this pushed KB patch — except for one weird glitch: The Action Center reports that my anti-malware package (Trend Micro Internet Security 17.50.1697.000) needs to be updated. So, when I click the AC's Update Trend Micro Internet Security link, it invokes the updater, which reports that it's already up to date. I think M$ has pushed out something that isn't ready for prime time here, not tested thoroughly enough. Maybe that's why it seems to have been pulled, but it was forced on me.

Thanks
    It's installed on my PC with no apparent side effects.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After today's coldstart, I still have the AC alert that Trend Internet Security is out of date, and I just manually updated it. Something's out of whack after that pushed patch !