New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this problem in Outlook 2007 before upgrading to Outlook 2010, but now it has started happening in Outlook 2010. I use Outlook as my RSS client. A lot of the articles I get from the RSS feeds have pictures embedded in them. In most cases, the pictures display just fine.

The odd behavior works like this: I click on a new article that has a picture. The picture is displayed just for an instant, but then disappears. The text that surrounded the picture is still there, but the space where the picture appeared is blank. There is no red X or other clue that the picture is undisplayable. If the article is long enough, if I scroll down one page and then scroll up, the picture is there (and stays there). If the article is short and I can only scroll down a few lines, when I scroll up again the top of the picture is there but nothing below it.

Usually but not always, if I click the next RSS article and then go back to the original one, the picture is there.

I have no clue as to why this only happens with RSS articles, or what I can change on my computer that will make pictures display properly in all cases. Have you seen anything like this? What did you do about it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Outlook 2007 & 2010 both have a crippled rendering engine. While safer than browsers anything having to do with rendering a web page may or may not work OK. If it works most of the time it could be just the size of the pictures and how Outlook renders them. I doubt there is much you can really affect.

Have you tried a different newsreader? Does it work OK with IE?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no trouble viewing the pictures in a web browser, but prefer viewing RSS in Outlook for thread management and archiving purposes.

You say the Outlook rendering engine has problems, and my experience bears that out. Have you read anything from Microsoft that acknowledges the problem or when it might be resolved?

TIA,
    Glynn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Brooks View Post
    You say the Outlook rendering engine has problems, and my experience bears that out. Have you read anything from Microsoft that acknowledges the problem or when it might be resolved?
    Starting in Outlook 2007, HTML message bodies are rendering according to the features and functionality of Word rather than IE. This is not likely to change back, but over time Word might gain a few features...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Brooks View Post
    I have no trouble viewing the pictures in a web browser, but prefer viewing RSS in Outlook for thread management and archiving purposes.

You could try a newsreader application such as RSS Bandit.

The way Outlook 2007 & 2010 use the Word rendering engine is a design decision. As far as Microsoft is concerned it is working as designed. You can give feeback about Office at Submit Feedback - Microsoft Office. People don't believe it but Microsoft really does listen to and analyze feedback when making product decisions.

Joe
    Joe