New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done a search and haven't seen any answer so I just start a new one and considering I believe this may be a hardware problem I'll start it here. Mods, feel free to move as see fit.

Have an Acer laptop that runs just fine except for this problem. Internet connection through my home wifi (linksys) works just fine as long as the power cord is disconnected and running on the battery, the minute it is plugged in, the wifi connection is lost. Unplug the cord and the wifi connection is immediately re-established and all is good.

Its been suggested to me that the problem could be the mobo, the power cable, or the battery, all good suggestions and I will be troubleshooting them all, but in the mean time, has anyone seen this issue before? But, 1) mobo: no other problems exist that would suggest that there is an issue w/ the mobo, have seen weird stuff before though, 2) battery: good life while on battery and no issues while on battery, but battery is about 3 yrs old, 3) power cable: again no issues while connected (except of course the wifi connection), and charges the battery up just fine.

OS is XP with all updates.

thanks all

PROBLEM SOLVED SEE BELOW

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Errol, I feel for you.

You case is sure queer, I have never heard of any like this. What I can suggest is to validate the Wi-Fi when you have the power cable connected. There might be a setting missing somewhere. Just a wild strike here. Maybe you have tried this already ??? Is this on an OEM laptop card or a PCMCIA ?

Do not give up, I run a gaggle of three laptops here along with five desktops, and none of this takes place. Very strange ! Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Errol, I feel for you.

You case is sure queer, I have never heard of any like this. What I can suggest is to validate the Wi-Fi when you have the power cable connected. There might be a setting missing somewhere. Just a wild strike here. Maybe you have tried this already ??? Is this on an OEM laptop card or a PCMCIA ?

Do not give up, I run a gaggle of three laptops here along with five desktops, and none of this takes place. Very strange ! Jean.
    Thanks Jean. Not sure what you mean by "validate the wi-fi". If you mean does it still work on other devices while not on the laptop, the answer is yes, still works on an ipad, 3 iphones and a desktop wifi connected.

The laptop wifi is built in wireless, no additional connection cards or hardware. Just went from working fine day before yesterday to not working last night.

Strange indeed.

Thanks
    Just guessing. My BIOS has an option to allow the wireless to operate only when the AC line is connected. It almost sounds like this backwards on your system. Have you gone through the BIOS and the OS's Power management setting in the Control Panel. See what settings are available relating to this and tried 'different' settings or just toggle them (change them, re-boot, change them back) to reset their registry data.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Just guessing. My BIOS has an option to allow the wireless to operate only when the AC line is connected. It almost sounds like this backwards on your system. Have you gone through the BIOS and the OS's Power management setting in the Control Panel. See what settings are available relating to this and tried 'different' settings or just toggle them (change them, re-boot, change them back) to reset their registry data.

Haven't tried changing any settings just yet, but I plan on doing so tonight, and will include your suggestion of the bios settings. Kinda weird if something got changed...then how?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well problem solved. Apparently Acer's power management has a flag to disconnect from the LAN when on battery. It somehow got changed, don't know how. The weird part is it was doing the opposite of what it should be doing; it would switch off the internet when it went on AC power and switch back on with the battery Changed the flag back to on and all is good.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Erroll, I am glad that your problem is solved.

What I meant by revalidate the wi-fi was to go into System and "uninstall" it then reinstall it. It would look for the driver and redo it. This would also solve some other problems.

There has been some fickle fingers on your machine to change this value for the Wi-Fi.... keep a good eye on it. I would like to know the philosophy from Acer to have the Wi-Fi disconnected when on battery ????

Be good. Jean.