3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've created a footer on pages 2-end of the document that has 3 textboxes with text. There's room to the right of the right-hand textbox for a page number. I know this becuase I modeled the footer on that of another report. When I use Insert>Page Number>Bottom of Page>Plain Number 1(or any type, but Plain Number 1 is preferred), my footer text boxes dissapear. Obviously, I want to avoid this. I notice in another of our reports that the right-hand text in the footer isn't in a text box, so perhaps the problem is that I have placed this right-hand text in a text box? That doesn't explain though why the page number removes all three of the text boxes (the report I am modelling this on does have two text boxes). Any suggestions? Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use Insert>Page Number>Current Position>Plain Number 1 instead. Or after selecting "Insert>Page Number>Bottom of Page>Plain Number 1", right click and choose "Insert at current document position".

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just expanding on Pam's solution a bit: the problem wasn't being caused by your having textboxes in the footer already, the problem is caused by Word 2007's behavior where inserting any of the page number Quick Parts replaces whatever content was already in the header or footer.

Using 'Current Position' rather than 'Bottom of Page' causes the page number Quick Part to be inserted in the footer, rather than replacing what's in the footer.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, tried "current position" and the page number appeared but removed the two text boxes to the left of it that were on the same horizontal level. The text box that was below it remained, however. So, still removing text boxes. Also, I didn't see any "Insert at current document position" after right-clicking on the spot in the header after following the "Insert>Page Number>Bottom of Page>Plain Number 1" steps.

Thanks
    Considering that long menu path, might it be easier to type (don't type the spaces):

Ctrl+F9 p a g e F9

Just a thought...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, I can't reproduce the problem of textboxes to the left being removed, when the page number is inserted to current position. Maybe I'm setting up my test differently from how your document is laid out.

But if the textboxes are causing a problem, why not avoid using them? Could you optionally lay out your required footer content, using a table (with no visible borders, just using the table as a layout structure)? You could then insert the page number in one of the table cells.

Gary