iNET Interactive
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

When it comes to patching, .NET is .ANNOYING

By Susan Bradley

I had high hopes that .NET 4 would break with previous versions and be easy to patch — but it's not to be.

After working with .NET 4 for a bit, I grieve to report that it, too, is a pain to patch and laborious to remove.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/10/28/07 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 14:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Live Essentials appearing on Microsoft Update

Didn't Microsoft get into trouble many years ago by doing something similar with Internet Explorer...making it part of the Operating System? This doesn't seem like a very ethical practice...trying to force Microsoft apps on users. But then again, Apple does it every day and people seem to love it.

Thanks
    Hi Abe, and welcome to the Lounge!

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the update and select Hide update, the Live Essentials Update should not reappear unless or until you click Restore Hidden Updates on the left side of Windows Updates page. Even then, you have to check the box beside it to restore the update to visibility.

If you are using XP, then there is a different way to do the same thing. Check out this link for how to do it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I to understand that you are having problems with the new .NET framework, specifically .NET 4? I have both Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I have had zero problems with this whatsoever! It is not a good idea to uninstall a .NET framework update. The operating system runs differently after one of these updates. The security of the operating system is improved. Uninstalling one of these could cause the operating system to not run afterwards. Being a computer repair technician, I would say that you have a shaky hardware setup in the machine having the problems. Find out what it takes to fix it, don't uninstall it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    Am I to understand that you are having problems with the new .NET framework, specifically .NET 4? I have both Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I have had zero problems with this whatsoever! It is not a good idea to uninstall a .NET framework update. The operating system runs differently after one of these updates. The security of the operating system is improved. Uninstalling one of these could cause the operating system to not run afterwards. Being a computer repair technician, I would say that you have a shaky hardware setup in the machine having the problems. Find out what it takes to fix it, don't uninstall it!
    Susan runs servers in a business/enterprise environment, and there the .NET problems and solutions are different from Workstations and Home PCs. She is essentially correct in her reporting of how much of a pain .NET is in these server environments.

And, as I posted elsewhere, in Windows 7 Home Premium, Live essentials is indeed baked-in to the Operating System. Not updating live essentials in this version is as foolish as not updating Internet Explorer if you have it installed, even if you never open it.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Am I to understand that you are having problems with the new .NET framework, specifically .NET 4? I have both Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I have had zero problems with this whatsoever! It is not a good idea to uninstall a .NET framework update. The operating system runs differently after one of these updates. The security of the operating system is improved. Uninstalling one of these could cause the operating system to not run afterwards. Being a computer repair technician, I would say that you have a shaky hardware setup in the machine having the problems. Find out what it takes to fix it, don't uninstall it!"

You don't need .net 4 in the first place. There is no consumer product that I am aware of AT THIS TIME that needs .net 4.

Due to the fact that .net 4 is now on your machine it MADE YOU vulnerable. The security of the operating system was not improved in fact you were made vulnerable by installing it.

You do not need to install something just because Mothership Microsoft says so. Only install .net 4 when a Vendor says they need it to run a program.

I am not having problems, I am seeing the dead bodies in the update forums having problems.

Live essentials is not baked into the operating system. OEMs are indeed shipping it installed, but it is an optional update. It's one you need to ensure you have the time for as you need to select ONLY what you want and be prepared for a lengthy install process.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Description of the Office Outlook 2007 hotfix package (Outlook-x-none.msp): October 26, 2010:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...rss&spid=11335

Consider the following scenario:
    You apply the update for the Knowledge Base (KB) article 981048 on a computer that has Office Outlook 2007 installed.
    You print or print preview the calendar in Office Outlook 2007 by using the monthly view.

In this scenario, the appointment end times are not printed or not displayed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Bradley View Post
    Live essentials is not baked into the operating system. OEMs are indeed shipping it installed, but it is an optional update. It's one you need to ensure you have the time for as you need to select ONLY what you want and be prepared for a lengthy install process.
    I was mistaken. On my Toshiba Satellite, I cannot completely remove Windows Live Essentials. I have tried every tool I can think of, and parts of it simply will not uninstall. So I assumed it was baked-in to Windows 7 Home Premium. I have also seen many other Windows 7 OEM installations, and they all had the same configuration of Live Essentials. I would like to get rid of Live Essentials from this computer, but nothing seems to work.

In this situation, I have decided to leave Live Essentials on the computer and update it to remain secure. Anyone else who has decided to keep an OEM installation of Live Essentials should not ignore updates. That is all I was really saying in my previous post. Sorry for any misinformation about whether all installations of Windows 7 have Live Essentials.

But isn't Windows Live Mail part of Windows Live essentials? And isn't Windows Live Mail baked into Windows 7 Home Premium (replacing Outlook Express)?
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, Win7 doesn't ship with any email program. What happens when you try to uninstall it? You may need to install to uninstall it.