iNET Interactive
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

What to do when a patch won't install

By Fred Langa

Normally, applying software patches to applications such as Microsoft Office goes smoothly — but sometimes, things just go horribly awry!

To make matters worse, Microsoft has discontinued its classic Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, which used to be the go-to tool for correcting this kind of trouble.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/10/28/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 14:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, in your article Paul Tandy asked

* "Does anyone know how to unmute the sound card? Needing help because I've just got a new Windows 7 computer."

and you explained how to do this with a mouse. If this is something that needs doing often, I would use a batch-file with NirCmd - a freeware Windows command line tool. Here are the NirCmd options that relate to controlling speaker volume:
    ================================================== ===============
    Increase the system volume by 2000 units (out of 65535) nircmd.exe changesysvolume 2000
    Decrease the system volume by 5000 units (out of 65535) nircmd.exe changesysvolume -5000
    Set the volume to the highest value nircmd.exe setsysvolume 65535
    Mute the system volume nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 1
    Unmute the system volume nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 0
    Switch the system volume between the mute and normal state. nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 2
    ================================================== ===============
    Get it here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me mention my experience with removing $NtUninstall files. I got in the habit of removing them and continued it with my Windows Home Server unit. Then Power Pack 3 became available but it wouldn't install. After puzzling over this for a long time, I figured out that PP3 needed to install Windows Search 4. WS4 wanted to remove Windows Search 3 first. Because I had removed the $NtUninstall file that couldn't happen. Luckily I was able to find a copy that someone had posted. After restoring it, PP3 installed correctly.

It's possible that the same scenario might occur in the future so I continue to leave the $NtUninstall files in place on Win XP and WHS. Those files don't exist in the same form in Windows 7 but, if located, I would leave them in place also.
    --
    Don