New Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I backup my created email files and folders on my desktop computer to an external hard drive utilizing Outlook 2003?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I don't remember the exact terminology used in Outlook '03, but if you are exporting your data now, the next to the last step is the location where you want it saved to. Click on the browse button and select where you want it to go. Mine goes to my G drive Outlook folder.
    In '07 it goes like this:
    File: Import and Export
    Choose an Action to perform
    Export to a File
    Create a File Type (I use .pst)
    Select the folder you want to back up
    I always backup "Personal Folders and check Include sub folders
    Save Exported File As:
    Click Browse and go to the location that you want.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the almost instant reply to my question and the advice worked fine. However, once the files are stored on the external hard drive the system is searching for a program to open them. Because Outlook is a program file, it is not on my external hard drive and available to open the saved email folders. How do I open the stored (backed up) files? All of this is new to me so thank you very much for being willing to try to help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jones View Post
    How do I open the stored (backed up) files?
    A file in PST format can be accessed from inside Outlook using File > Open > Outlook Data File. There's no safe way to associate it (e.g., add a double-click action) with Outlook or any other program.

If you want a backup format that can be used without Outlook, I think you have a mix of choices depending on the type of items, but I suspect it would be a lot more work to create and update than the PST format.

Thanks
    The main Outlook .pst is located at C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    When you open Outlook this is where it looks for the data. The Backup that you did this morning is just that a backup. If you should ever have to replace the data in Outlook for what ever reason then you can import that external file by simply reversing the export process. The C location updates automatically so you really don't need to touch it, at least I never have.
    I have never tried this, but if you really want to use your back up (not recommended) then open Outlook go to tools, then account settings.highlight the account you want to change then below that click on "Tell me more" that will bring up the help menu and will walk you through the rest of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)