1. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've successfully used Outlook with POP3 Gmail for several years without any problems. I'm currently using Outlook 2010 on my PC.

A few weeks ago I bought a T-Mobile G2 (Android 2.1) smartphone and configured it to connect with one of my my Gmail accounts using POP3. All appeared to be working properly, with the same message headers showing up on both the G2 and in Outlook, and no problem downloading messages from Gmail. But then I noticed that if I opened a message on the G2, that message never showed up in my Inbox. Newer and older messages that I did not open with the G2 do get downloaded to my Inbox. It's as if Outlook thinks the opened message is not new, so it never gets downloaded to my PC from the server.

Is this a Gmail issue? Android? Outlook? How can I narrow it down?

How does Outlook know whether to download a message or not? I thought it would always download messages newer (by timestamp) than that last batch that came in.

TIA,
    Glynn

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't know you could use Gmail with POP3, I thought it was strickly IMAP which is much better BTW.

Regardless, it sounds like you need to visit your account settings and set what is done with your email as far as leaving on server, deleting once downloaded and read, etc. I can't remember the exact settings but you have to set how the posts are managed.

I would suggest you take a look at using IMAP in Gmail, it works great with my Droid and Outlook 2010.

4. New Lounger
    Thanks
    After more research and experiments I've decided that the critical setting is in the Gmail account. It is called "recent mode" and is described here.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47948"

Google recommends you use this when you are syncing email to multiple devices, especially with smartphones. Here's an About article that describes the situation and what to do about it:

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/...ecent_mode.htm

I tried IMAP support for Gmail, but didn't like how it managed Inbox folders, so I went back to POP3. Here's the Gmail article that describes how to use POP3 with Outlook 2007/2010:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=86373