New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my computer I made a new partition after the XP-partition to install W7. Installation went allright and my data were nicely brought to the W7 partition. Windows 7 works great. Now I want to delete the XP-partition, but W7 starts up via a file on the XP-partition.
    I do not dare to delete as I am afraid W7 won't start.

Using the install disk for W7, the repair option does not see W7 in its partition!

How can I organize the deletion of the XP-partition?

Thanks for your advise.

Harm

Thanks
    Hi Harm, and welcome to the Lounge!

Greg Shultz of TechRepublic wrote a set of articles on dual booting XP with Windows 7. One of them that you can read here, shows you how to safely remove your XP partition so you can just boot Windows 7. The title of the blog is Migrate to Windows 7 from an XP dual-boot configuration.

After the second paragraph, there is a link in the article so you can download a .pdf of the article to save. You will be required to register with TechRepublic to download the .pdf, but that only entails choosing a user name and a password. You will then be able to sign on and download any of the multitude of free .pdfs available on their servers. It is well worth the time.

Greg's article should have you where you want to be in no time.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerald,

This pdf-file is now a free file and I think this is just what I need.

I downloaded it and will start the exercise.

Thank you for your kind reception in the lounge!

Kind regards,

Harm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Gerald,

The pdf-file is very informative, but I can not follow the instructions; as XP did not want to start anymore after the installation of W7.
    I then deleted as much as possible in the XP-partition and can no longer start that. And now copying from W7: both the files BCD and BCD.LOG were in use and could not be copied.
    But I had made a backup of the XP-files after installing W7. And I can put my hands on the BCD and BCD.LOG files in the backup.

So I will now make a copy of the existing XP and W7 partitions and see what will happen after further following the instructions.

I do hope to tell everything will be right tomorrow after making the back-ups.

Harm

Thanks
    Harm,

The previous linked article was the second part of a three part series. The other two are as follows: the first part, Create a Windows XP and 7 dual-boot system staged for an easy migration and the third part, Capture unallocated disk space from an XP to Windows 7 dual-boot migration.

Hope this helps with the perspective of the entire process.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    This is very similar to what I needed to do when deleting a Linux dual boot. This thread shows what I had to do to fix my MBR on Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleting the XP-partition I found that the W7-DVD looks only for the FIRST SATA-drive in your system.
    After reconnecting my drives I could see my W7-partition and could delete the XP-partition using the TechRepublic report.
    Things went rather smoothly thereafter and W7 is working like before!

Harm