New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am attempting to migrate from Charter's webmail client to Outlook or ANY mail client which will allow me to download my existing on-line message archive. Charter has recently "upgraded" their client and it is too slow to use!

I setup Outlook '07 with a POP connection with no luck - it download the inbox but leaves the other folders behind. Of course, I'm leaving all messages on the server for now (not deleting when downloading) to make sure that I don't loose my archive.

Charter will not allow me to move my archive folders into the Inbox or other supplied folders (draft, trash, junkmail) so that I can sync on them. - IL 7 seems to only sync the inbox anyway.

I've considered some of the bulk mail migration tools to Gmail (I'm using Gmail as my host now), but most will dump all messages into a single mailbox and even delete the dates - I don;t mind loosing the dates, if I can keep teh messages in folders.
    I could probably move them by emptying the inbox and moving a folder at a time - this seems too labor intensive for something that should be straightforward.

I'm currently using the Gmail web client, for new mail, but need the archive even if near-line (sure would be nice to use Gmail like Exchange with installed Outlook on the PC and Outlook web for remote access.....

I'm willing to try ANY MS or reasonable 3rd party email client which will allow this. - I have licenses for Outlook XP, '03, '07 and '10, but would like to stay near-current for security reasons. I'm running on Win 7 Enterprise.

Thanks,
    Earl

Thanks
    Check Windows Live Mail, a part of the Windows Live Essentials suite. I use this very successfully. You can install any or all the suite. Pick the portions you want.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You can't and shouldn't download folders, but you can recreate them in Outlook & gmail...

Create new folders in your Outlook account with all similarly named folders of your Charter account.
    Them move all your messeges from each individual Charter folder to their respective Outlook folder.

You could do the same in gmail; Have copies of messages from both your installed Outlook client's hard drive based storage and in your web based gmail account as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for yoru responses,

Ted,
    I'll try Live Mail - that's one client which I haven't tried yet.

Clint,
    Problem here is that I can't see the Charter folders in Outlook to be able to download them or copy them - I tried this first, thinking that Outlook might allow me to see the Charter subfolders. It only displays the inbox. I have not found an "on-line" connection function, short of an Exchange server, that allows me to view the serve files from any client.

Gmail won't allow me to see the folders at Charter.net either.
    I have about 40 to move, so my option is to flush the Charter inbox and copy each a folder at a time into it and then download to the Outlook inbox on its way to a new Outlook sub folder. This is beginning to look like about the only option here. I will look at Live Mail first, before going this tedious route.
    I'm also looking for an IMAP route to charter. That may be a solution, if I understand its funtion correctly.

I'm not terribly impressed with Gmail's category flagging to track multi-folder email, or I would use it. It's a bit too lightweight. I hate to get locked in to having all of the archive physically on my laptop. I often need remote access to it from another computer -

Thanks again for the quick responses!
    Earl

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Earl, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue and want to get out from under Charter's terrible email...