Lounger
    Thanks
    I got a new Western Digital HD (750GB) for backup of my photos etc. If the drive is connected and I have to reboot, it won't. If I remove the WD HD and then reboot and reconnect the drive it will boot. What gives? I'm not savvy enought about the boot sequence to know what to do but it seems that WD must have made its drive the boot from drive but it isn't bootable and I want it back the old way where it boots from the C drive. What can I do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pamelaryan View Post
    I got a new Western Digital HD (750GB) for backup of my photos etc. If the drive is connected and I have to reboot, it won't. If I remove the WD HD and then reboot and reconnect the drive it will boot. What gives? I'm not savvy enought about the boot sequence to know what to do but it seems that WD must have made its drive the boot from drive but it isn't bootable and I want it back the old way where it boots from the C drive. What can I do?
    Is this an internal or external HD? If it's internal you may have to go to Disk Management and set it as a logical drive before booting with it connected. The system may not be able to tell until you do. What OS do you use. The method used may vary depending on the OS.

In Win 7 this is what it looks like:

[attachment=90438:2010-10-28_1924.png]

After booting, if the drive is an internal drive, connect the WD drive and then go into Disk Management (In Win 7 type Disk Management in the search box) You should see the WD drive. It may be listed as unallocated. You should be able to right click and set it to Logical. (May have to format it as well, choose NTFS)

If the WD drive is external you should not have to do any of this. When you connect it it should show up as a usable HD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the new WD drive is an external USB drive, try going into the BIOS and change boot sequence so that USB boots after internal drive.

Thanks
    Information Request:
    Is your new drive internal or external?
    How does the drive connect; internal SATA, external USB, or external eSATA?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hi Pamela, go to device manager and uninstall it. Now turn off your pc, wait a few seconds and restart.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Information Request:
    Is your new drive internal or external?
    How does the drive connect; internal SATA, external USB, or external eSATA?
    It is an external drive, external USB and I am using Win7. I really need very specific help on how to keep it attached and still be able to reboot. I don't know how to go into the BIOS and change the boot order. Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Pam

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For very specific help we need very specific information......

What is the make and model of your computer? We can look up the bios settings for you and give step by step info on how to change them.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Go into BIOS and make sure the boot order does not have a USB drive as first boot. Make sure your internal drive is selected as first boot. I just built a new machine and sure enough out of the box BIOS was set to boot to a usb drive first..

Thanks
    When you first turn your computer on there should be very specific information on your screen as boot up begins.
    This can provide information as to what key on your keyboard to press to "enter setup". (BIOS)
    The screen may proceed quickly, so pay close attention. Once you are in the BIOS it will be a matter of scrolling
    through the screens looking for any reference to boot/boot order. This should not be difficult to find.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.