2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Accidental Crashes & Hard Resets

My (*&)(*&)(& Palm IIIe keeps resetting itself every few weeks, so I lose everything since my last synch.
    Am I just very unlucky or is this common?
    Is it worth buying a different model?
    I swear I haven't hit the reset buttons. - I just pick it up to use it and it greets me with the introduction screen as if it's new out of the box!!! :-(
    I reckon I've got a hardware fault such as a loose internal battery.
    Surely it can't be caused by 3rd party software - I've been using the same stuff for a year now!
    Any help gratefully accepted!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Accidental Crashes & Hard Resets

David:

I can only assume that with a IIIe you've gotten some good use out of the unit already. I've never heard of such a problem before, and I suspect you're on the right track thinking it's a hardware issue. I'm sure you've been putting in fresh batteries, so either the power conductors from the batteries are broken, and the internal battery can only keep you going for a short time without external power, or the internal battery conductors are broken as well.

With everything on the market right now being an upgrade from the IIIe and both Palm and Handspring offering their base models at deeply discounted prices, I can't imagine that you'd be better off repairing the current unit, but getting an estimate can't hurt.

Best of luck!