Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to use the sound recorder in my Windows 7, 64 bit machine. The problem I am having is that I get no sound. when I replay the file. I am making a recording as the file indicates the size, I just can't make it play. The file indicates a padlock on it and I suspect I need to remove that somehow. For what it's worth it is saved as a "wma" file, and I'm using windows media player to try and play it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    I am trying to use the sound recorder in my Windows 7, 64 bit machine. The problem I am having is that I get no sound. when I replay the file. I am making a recording as the file indicates the size, I just can't make it play. The file indicates a padlock on it and I suspect I need to remove that somehow. For what it's worth it is saved as a "wma" file, and I'm using windows media player to try and play it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob,
    Hello... Go to control panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program .... and check if windows is set as default for "wma" .. if not ..."make it so" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    Can you inspect the file in a program like Audacity to check that it actually has 'amplitude' and not just a long period of silence?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Bob,
    Hello... Go to control panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program .... and check if windows is set as default for "wma" .. if not ..."make it so" Regards Fred
    Yes, Windows is the default player.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found the problem! I had the microphone plugged in thru a USB port. I plugged microphone directly into the computer ports in front and am recording. Thanks for the suggestions though.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob,

Don't know about your problem but sometime ago I gave up saving in wma format and save everything now in mp3 format. It's much more compatible in more applications.

Ken

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually WAV is the most universal format. Unlike MP3, it reproduces the sound or music exactly as in the original as it does not compress. MP3 is a "lossy" format which loses some of the sound. Unless you need to conserve space, as on a mobile player, WAV is really preferable.