Thanks
    Previous threads in this forum have addressed the problem of long-term data storage and the problem of CDs/DVDs decaying after three or four years. It seems there may be a way to extend this Disc/DVD problem via built-in redundency when burning data to disc: Using the latest version of Nero Burning ROM. The program also permits password access control to data burned to disc, further enhanced by digital signature protection, etc

Whilst it IS expensive,the latest product: Nero Smart Suite 10 "Burning Rom" includes "SecurDisc". It burns data to a disc and then copies the data AGAIN and stores it in further places on the disc with various check-sums and other routines to ensure that you can recover your data, even if the disc is damaged or begins to be lost as the disc ages. Here is an extract from the relevant web page available here: My link

"Data Reliability helps rescue data from a damaged disc SecurDisc significantly increases your chances of retrieving data from damaged CDs, DVDs or Blu-ray Discs, regardless of scratches, age or deterioration with Data Reliability.
    When you record data to optical media, the discs rarely fill up to their capacity and a substantial amount of space remains unused. SecurDiscís Data Reliability feature is included with every burn and efficiently stores multiple versions of the information in the remaining space to safeguard your files in the event that your disc gets damaged.
    Password Protection keeps away prying eyes SecurDisc ensures the protection of confidential data using AES-128, an encryption standard used by banks and the U.S government. This high security level algorithm prohibits access to the protected data without the password set by the original author.
    Protected data can only be accessed when entering the correct password in SecurDisc Viewer. The password length recommended should be at least 16 characters long. Complete sentences can also be entered and with AES-128 encryption, it has added security.
    Data Integrity Check protects your data from disc deterioration SecurDisc provides another layer of protection through its Data Integrity Check, which warns you if your disc data is at risk of deteriorating, giving you time to back up your files to another disc.
    The Data Integrity Check feature is always enabled for security, and utilizes a special checksum algorithm to detect errors on discs and then alerts you so your data is always safe and restorable.
    Digital Signature verifies the authenticity of your files When you transfer important data from one person to another, the recipient must be able to tell that the data is authentic and has not been altered.
    SecurDisc lets you digitally sign an entire SecurDisc disc using a trusted signing key. Create an encrypted digital signature directly from the application and then distribute to anyone who receives the disc. This allows them to verify the authenticity of the data using the digital signature as a unique verification key."

And some more:

"How to protect your data with SecurDisc SecurDisc protects your valuable and confidential files through a range of security options you control.
    Discover how SecurDisc overcomes common security problems.
    Security problem #1:
    How do I prevent unwanted access to my files? I have confidential data I want to keep away from prying eyes.
    SecurDisc Solution:
    Password Protection SecurDisc allows you to create a password-protected disc, meaning that anyone wanting to view the contents of your files and folders must enter the correct password in order to do so. Since you set the password and you control who receives this password, you can feel safe knowing that access to your critical information is restricted.

Security problem #2:
    How can I transfer sensitive data? I need to securely transfer highly sensitive, confidential information to another party, and I want to be confident that even if I lose a disc, the information will remain secure.
    SecurDisc Solution:
    Digital Signature SecurDisc lets you sign a disc to ensure that the information is valid and has not been manipulated in anyway. A doctor, for example, can digitally sign confidential medical files, and then distribute a public key to the disc's recipients. The recipients can then use the key to verify the authenticity of the disc's contents and ensure they are receiving accurate, non-tampered data.

Security problem #3:
    How do I retrieve data from damaged discs? I want to be able to retrieve my files if a disc is accidentally damaged.
    SecurDisc Solution:
    Data Reliability After you've copied all your files onto a disc, SecurDisc uses the empty space to add redundant and checksum data. This significantly increases the chances of your files being retrieved, even if the disc itself is damaged.

Security problem #4:
    How can I preserve my important data over time? Knowing that discs decay over time or can be scratched, I want to ensure that the family photos and videos I record to CDs and DVDs are preserved for years to come and don't become unreadable.
    SecurDisc Solution:
    Data Integrity Check While nothing can prevent disc decay, SecurDisc can save your data by notifying you that it is in danger of being lost forever, giving you time to back it up to another disc.

See how SecurDisc is integrated into Nero Burning ROM to give you exceptional quality burns and state-of-the-art data protection."

Two questions:
    Does anyone know of Free software that offers such additional long-term/secure protection for data?
    What are Lounger's views regarding the long-term storage claims of this software?

(Edit: Added more info from web page)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    My scepticism about relying on a single media type for backup is well-known. What if you, by chance, purchased a bad batch of DVDs where the coating peeled off (I speak very approximately)?

By all means use the apparently enhanced reliability and security of this Nero upgrade - but not as your sole backup mechanism!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    My scepticism about relying on a single media type for backup is well-known. What if you, by chance, purchased a bad batch of DVDs where the coating peeled off (I speak very approximately)?

By all means use the apparently enhanced reliability and security of this Nero upgrade - but not as your sole backup mechanism!
    Ditto. And I mean that in both agreement, and that you shouldn't rely on one backup solution.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Short term backups are Best.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Short term backups are Best.
    Maybe. It depends on what kind of data you are backing up. For example, my hobby is photography. I shoot in RAW. I keep two copies of the RAW files on DVD, one copy on a "live" disk, and one copy on an external backup drive. The later two only for reference purposes via my DAM software. I have no need to back them up daily. And realistically I only need to refresh the DVDs on occasion for integrity purposes. When I was short in local disk space, the backup DVDs were all I needed for the RAW camera files, which never change.

I do run backup scripts daily using Robocopy, but only to do incremental backups. These are done to separate external drives on a rotating basis.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Hi again Chuck, my music files are saved on 3 separate ext. hdd's plus my fav., favoutites on cd's. I store NOTHING on C: drive. All my backups are system images of C: using Acronis 2010's 'One Click' backup method.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!