Thanks
    I am working on improving the appearance of some Word documents using Word 2007's themes and customizing headings.

If the documents I work on are in .doc format, rather than .docx, will I be limiting the scope of what I can do with Word 2007's themes and headings features?

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't believe themes work with .doc files.Theme options are grayed out (not available) on the .doc files I open. Themes work, in part, by changing the document's defaults and affect headings when the selected font is +heading. Neither feature is available in W2003.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Thanks for pointing that out. Following your lead, I see that I cannot change the color or font of a style either. Those are greyed out under Change Styles as well as in the Themes section.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How are you trying to change the font and color of the headings. You can modify styles in all versions of Word. Instead of themes, you can use templates to set up and standardize the look of your documents. For more information about templates see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    How are you trying to change the font and color of the headings.
    When I click the down arrow under Change Styles in the Styles section of the Home tab, Color and Font are greyed out when it is .doc format.

Thanks for the template info link.

Vince

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ah, yes. The color and font picks under change styles are theme elements that modify documents and are not available to .doc files. To modify an individual style, go to the styles pane, click the arrow to the right of a style and choose "modify" from the drop down menu. You should be able to make the changes you want there.

Pam
    Pam Caswell