2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to upgrade to Win 7 because of increasing failures with XP. And while at it, decided to buy a Solid State Disk (SSD) on which to do a clean install of Win 7. But I can't get it to install.

The install never really gets started because I get to the "setup is starting" message, and then shortly after get a message "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation." I have no idea what this means.

I have formatted the SSD as NTSF 4096 byte blocks in advance of trying to install Win 7. The SSD is 60GB, and during my installation attempts is the only disk on the system (all others powered off). It's an OCZ series 2, if that makes any difference.

Win 7 is an "upgrade" version, as I also own Vista.

I decided to try to install Vista on the SSD to see if it would go, and then I would upgrade. But I got the same exact error message. Vista is the "full" version, not an "upgrade".

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction, please. Very frustrating!
    Thanks,
    Bob Chapman

Thanks
    By what means did you format the drive?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

Check out this MS Knowledge Base article that addresses what needs to be done to configure a dynamic disk to accept a Windows installation. If you see RAID in your future hard drive setup, dynamic disks are required.

Also, SevenForums has a tutorial on how to convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk if that is what you would rather do.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You shouldn't have formatted it but let 7 do it.
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/wi...RTEX#Windows_7

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Gerald and veegertx for the links provided above. I don't have an SSD yet, but will in the near future.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a possibility with later model SSD that Win 7 may not include correct driver's. I'm not sure but there is that possibility cause I don't have one yet
    You can include Drivers on a usb stick or floppy.
    http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...tml#post156386
    be sure to read on down I made a mistake when calling it X64 when it should be amd64

Far as him pre format I don't know solution except plug in and basically fdisk it.
    You really don't need to format disk now day's, let the Win 7 disk do it.
    SSD I don't know or use their utility's from their website to make it right again

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gerald. The Knowledge Base article had enough info in it to solve my problem.
    Bob

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back your resolution of the problem, Bob. Glad to hear it is no longer an issue.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill