New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 - 64 bit on a Dell Studio XPS 9100. The program where I have the problem is Jot + Notes, a refinement of the Windows Card File program from several years ago. Jot + Notes is provided by King Stairs Software, an English software company. I have a directory containing the Jot+ Data files (file extension = .JOT) with a hundred or so files in it not counting the duplicates. Almost every file has the file name with the .JOT extension duplicated in the directory. Many of the pairs of files have the same time stamp, bur some have different time stamps.

I had always assumed that computer operating systems would not allow identical file names (when the file extension is included the file name) [attachment=90459:A copy of a portion of my Jot + data files showing duplicate file names.doc] but in this case my assumption appears not to be correct.

If anyone understands what is going on here, I would like very much to hear the explanation.

In addition, I have a real mess on my hands and wonder what is the best way to get rid of the duplicates without losing information from the files where the information in File A is different from the information in File B.

Many thanks for the help!

Bill DePierri

Thanks
    Hi Bill,

I'm pretty sure that the files exist in more than one place.

Try this - Right click on one of the files & select properties. That will show you where the file actually is, now do the same for the duplicate file.

Have you inadvertently managed to have 2 copies of each file in a different location?

Hope that helps
    Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ian:

I believe that you figured it out. When I looked at the properties, one of the files was located at
    C:\Users\William DePierri\Documents\Jot Cards.

The duplicate file is located at
    C:\Users\William DePierri\Documents\Jot Cards\Jot Cards.

However all of the *.JOT files show up in the same branch of the directory tree. They are all listed together in the Jot + 3 Notefile Location. Is this a Windows 7 improvement to lump all files with the same extension together? Do you understand the 'Rules'? If you do, I would sure appreciate it if you would explain them to me.

It sure has given me Hell trying to figure out how to recover and meld my data that is now all screwed up. Unfortunately, these are important files to me with much financial information, passwords, etc.

Thanks for your comment. I now understand what is going on. I still do not understand why the two groups of files are listed together when I look at
    Libraries > Documents > Jot Cards > Jot + 3 Notefile.

If you understand what is going on here, I would certainly appreciate your explaining it to me. I just find it terrifying that files in a branch of the directory tree can be combined with files from a secondary branch of the directory tree with no obvious differentiation between the two types of files.

Regards and many thanks for the help!!!

Bill DePierri

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is the view you are using for the Library. You are using arrange by name. If change "arrange by" to Folder they will show in their individual location.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

Many thanks for the information. I must confess I do not understand what is going on with the Directory Tree, but hopefully, the information that you shared will allow me to move forward.

Regards,

Bill DePierri