4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was intrigued as to why NIS2011 failed Gibson Research's LeakTest. Below is the answer I got from Symantec.
    Common firewall leak tests do not reflect the annoyance factor of continually prompting users to make decisions about what to allow or not allow. The majority of our users would quickly get fed up with such continual prompting and either switch off the functionality or remove our product entirely. Instead we try to make intelligent choices for our users. This might mean allowing ‘through’ more traffic in certain situations, but we also have many other layers of defense that are capable of protecting users e.g. our IPS and SONAR. Together our four broad defense pillars (Network, File, Behavioral and Reputation-based security) all collaborate to form a much stronger defense than just one or two defense layers acting individually.

We believe our approach makes for more practical and effective security software and the real world tests we regularly participate in are an affirmation of this approach.
    Thanks,
    Sondra Magness
    Symantec
    Can anyone translate this gobbledegook for me? It does not seem to address the problem of outgoing data etc.

Thanks
    I think they are saying their software is better able to guess which outbound connections are bad than you are.

As for whether there is any basis for that claim, I don't know, I haven't studied those features.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Phil :

Seems the same "type" of gobbledegook I got from them in early 2005;
    I soon switched from Norton to Avast . Appears the main "Message" is
    "remove our product entirely" !? My impression is that it is better for
    business if their users are under the impression they have excellent
    protection if the software says the least amount to them .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Taylor View Post
    My impression is that it is better for business if their users are under the impression they have excellent protection if the software says the least amount to them .
    For years, Norton suites have tilted toward more ease-of-use and less user control of technical settings. That's a formula that works for a large segment of the market, but may not be attractive to power users. It's nice to have a choice.