Thread: Black screen

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Lenovo 3000 c200 laptop that was supplied with windows xp professional. I did a clean install of windows 7 HP and obtained all the drivers etc, and all seemed OK, windows 7 found the wireless network, sounds and video etc.

All of a sudden after the 'starting windows' screen I get a black screen, windows is still loading as I get the startup jingle and if I type my password in I hear the 'ding' as windows sets itself up, but there is no display. This is intermittent and when restarted all is normal, but then there is an occasional touchpad freeze or the display changes to 800x600 non aero. Again after a reboot all is normal. I can shut the computer down properly using alt/f4/return and it shuts the computer down correctly. I restored my windows xp HD from a disk image and it works fine with no problems, which seem to eliminate hardware.

Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? There is nothing on the Lenovo site, but it does not seem to be confined to Lenovo Laptops.

Thanks in anticipation

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the display works fine with XP but not Windows 7 it is most likely a driver problem. Laptops are notorious for needing drivers from the OEM. Did you get the Windows 7 video drivers from Lenovo?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have tried all the drivers including Vista one, and the Intel site offering. This problem is intermittent and Lenovo does not seem to have a windows 7 specific driver. I also get sporadic mouse freezing and the display going to 800x600 - non aero. It is very annoying as when the PC does start normally it works well.

Thanks
    In looking at the Lenovo site, you may be out of luck. The latest graphics driver is made for Vista, and although these normally may work, it appears in your case they may not. What is the identification of the graphics driver? In looking at the Lenovo site, your PC may have an nVidia graphics setup. perhaps thenVidia site will help. If not, I am unsure what you might try next.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    The graphics card is an Intel 945(I think) type not nVidia. I have tried the driver off the Intel site, to no avail. It is more frustrating and annoying because the problem is intermittent and when the laptop does start properly it is fine and quick.

I have downloaded all the Vista drivers from the Lenovo site and will try them when I get some time to play. If that does not do the trick then I will restore the pc back to windows xp with my disk image.