Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies in advance for those thinking this question is too basic.

I have two user accounts on my PC, and I am puzzled about how they interact.

For example, I installed Microsoft Office on one account. It's not available in the program list in the other account, but when I double-click a .docx file in (the other) account, up pops Word. Also, I installed IrfanView on one account, and it doesn't show in the programs list in the other account, but it's available in Explorer under the "open with" option.

On another computer that I share with my wife, every time she puts a shortcut on her desktop, it appears on my desktop. When I move it to another folder, it moves on her account's desktop.

I just don't get it.

Both computers are running Windows 7 Home Premium. Any advice or pointers to explanations would be appreciated

Will

Thanks
    Are both these accounts members of the Administrators Group?

If a member of the Administrators Group makes a change in either the start menu or a significant change to the desktop (as in creating a folder and moving a shortcut icon inside that folder), such changes are generally reflected in all users.

On the other hand, if an ordinary user makes a change in the start menu or the desktop, it is generally considered a "personalization", and is not carried over into all users. Of course, depending on the particualr item, there are exceptions.

If one wishes for a new application to be available for all users, the application should be installed as a member of the Administrators Group.

Security-wise, it is not advisable to run routinely using an account in the Administrators Group. Either a Power User account or a regular User account is more secure.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its probably like Windows XP in that when a program is installed, start menu shortcuts are placed in both the installation user start menu and the shared or all users start menu, unless one has or can specify at the time of installation to only install for the current user.

So when in a different user account even though there are no references to the program, it is in the all users menu when the computer checks there for an association and shortcut to the program. Hence one of the primary reasons for a shared or all users account, to avoid having to install everything each time in each individual user account.

Thanks
    You should be able to find and place shortcuts to the Office programs on your start menu in the second user account. You should be able to open Windows Explorer, under Programs (x86) open the Microsoft Office folder and then open the Office14 (Office 2010) or Office13 (Office 2007) or whichever you have, find the .exe to the app you want (i.e. excel.exe or winword.exe), with Win 7 right click and pin to the start menu.

[attachment=90477:Office.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments. I just added shortcuts to my second (non-administrator) user account.

Will

Thanks
    Will, Glad these suggestions worked, thanks for posting back to advise. Also thanks for the Thumbs Up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy