Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An old friend of mine has finally decided that his ten-year-old desktop has had it, and will be shopping for a new PC soon. He had Outlook Express with his XP os, but he won't be able to use OE with Windows 7. I've suggested webmail such as Gmail or Yahoo! Mail, but he may want a client to replace OE. Outlook would be overkill for his basic email needs.

So this should be the place to ask about what good, simple, easy-to-learn email clients are out there. They should also be free or inexpensive. I used Eudora for a long time, but I understand that it is now not being actively developed. Or am I wrong? Would Eudora be a candidate for him? What else is there?

Thanks,

Dick Moores

Thanks
    Windows Live Mail
    Microsoft's WLM is the successor to OE that is nearly identicle.

Thunderbird 3.1
    A easy Mozilla alternative.

Outlook (Windows, for Office Standard Suite)
    MS Outlook

Gmail (Web-based, Free)
    Web Based Gmail, a good free alternative.

Eudora Open Source Edition

Pegasus

Opera 10.50

Consider your needs prior to choosing a client. Identify a client with ongoing update intervals & product support.
    Windows Live Mail would be ideal for someone coming from OE as it is nearly identicle.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    My method is glitch free. As you probably already have a Windows Live ID, go for W L Mail, import your contacts. Now open a Gmail account, add it to W L Mail then delete the other account if you don't need it. Now you will have total control of what happens to your mail. If you choose my method I'll help with set up.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    then delete the other account if you don't need it.
    If you delete the old account anyone who knows (and uses) the current email address will get bounce messages. I would forward it to Gmail for a while (a few years perhaps) .
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    WLM gets my vote as well. Use it for all you email accounts. Mine is set up to check 3 different accounts each time I sign on. It will check them and organize them separately, then you can reply using whichever account you choose. Works well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    If you delete the old account anyone who knows (and uses) the current email address will get bounce messages. I would forward it to Gmail for a while (a few years perhaps) .
    John, re read Dick's post 1

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I did.

I don't actually see any connection between a new email client, and needing a new email provider. I don't think Dick indicated any problems with his current provider.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Moores View Post
    I've suggested webmail such as Gmail or Yahoo! Mail, but he may want a client to replace OE. Outlook would be overkill for his basic email needs.

Dick Moores
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    I did.

I don't actually see any connection between a new email client, and needing a new email provider. I don't think Dick indicated any problems with his current provider.
    He did'nt.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    My method is glitch free. As you probably already have a Windows Live ID, go for W L Mail, import your contacts. Now open a Gmail account, add it to W L Mail then delete the other account if you don't need it. Now you will have total control of what happens to your mail. If you choose my method I'll help with set up.
    i am interested in your method. how do you do it? i use gmail, no intention of using hotmail etc.
    thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    i am interested in your method. how do you do it? i use gmail, no intention of using hotmail etc.
    thanks
    I have a Windows Live ID, it is used to log in to W L Mail. It contains all my contacts as does Gmail (I never use Gmail directly to read or write) WLM is more versatile.
    -
    1 Get a W L ID and download Windows Live Essentials, you can import your contacts from Gmail ( think)
    -
    [attachment=90492:White Paper.JPG]
    -
    3 Now delete Windows Mail Account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Windows Live Mail
    Microsoft's WLM is the successor to OE that is nearly identicle.
    Even though I am completely happy with Gmail, and have no need for an email client for my current email (but see below), I thought I'd try out a couple of your suggestions. I discovered that I already had it WLM on my Vista laptop (it came with some recent updating I did), that it was very easy to set up, and very easy to use. I very well may suggest that my friend use it when he gets his Windows 7 desktop in a couple of weeks (I think his daughter is going to order it for him from Dell).

And I will continue to use WLM to deal with an old email address that had over 12,000 emails piled up at my webhoster. I'm now gradually unsubscribing that address from many email lists. BTW I haven't found where to create filters yet. Are they possible?

Thunderbird 3.1
    An easy Mozilla alternative.
    I thought Thunderbird might be a good candidate for my friend, but after spending over 2 hours trying to get it set up, I gave up. It may be easy to use, but not to set up. I've since seen serious complaints about this -- that Thunderbird 3 tries to make the setup of an account almost automatic, but when this goes wrong, doing it manually becomes extremely hard for many. This is what happened to me. My webhoster has a video about the setup, but it's for version 2, and is of little use.

As I said, Outlook is overkill for my friend, even if an excellent program.

Gmail (Web-based, Free)
    Web Based Gmail, a good free alternative.
    Yes!

I was a Eudora user and fan for many years, on my old XP desktop. I didn't know about the OSE. I'll set it up for myself and give it a try to see if it might be a good candidate for my friend.

Hm. Maybe I'll take a look. Is it easy to set up and use?

I doubt that he wants to learn a new browser.

Consider your needs prior to choosing a client. Identify a client with ongoing update intervals & product support.
    Windows Live Mail would be ideal for someone coming from OE as it is nearly identical.
    I'll send him a screen shot of WML to give him an idea.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, roderunner for the info

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Moores View Post
    And I will continue to use WLM to deal with an old email address that had over 12,000 emails piled up at my webhoster. I'm now gradually unsubscribing that address from many email lists. BTW I haven't found where to create filters yet. Are they possible?
    In WLM you create filters by going to the "Folders" tab then use the "Message Rules" button.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not a computer expert, but with Bill Gates past track record, I for one use nothing but what I just have to from microsoft. Windows Live Mail might be great, but you can bet the day is not far off when Gates kill WLM,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Pocomail. I have used it for years after trying all the others.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast