New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Running WHS mainly for backups.

Initially the backups ran every night but after a month or 2 they failed all the time.

Did go the route of running chkdsk /whatever/whatever and then came accross a bat (.cmd) called checkall.cmd which takes about a day to run and then the backup will work.

Typically did that yesterday and this morning the WHS Console tells me that I have a successfull backup of my Desktop PC's M: drive (1.5TB Samsung HD154UI) Variable Speed SATA).

Even though the Application message in the Event log at 02:24:22 this morning reads: "Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x00063604."

So I thought I will re-run the backup for C:, D:, M: again and P: (C+D are 500GB drives while P: is my WD Passport 160GB)

a few % into the backup, it came up with the same message that "Backup failed"

10:13:28 "Reporting queued error: faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x00063604."

So I am back running Checkall.cmd again which will again take more than a day.

I am not even getting to backing up my other PC's

Space on the WHS are 150GB + 300GB + 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI(again) - All "Healthy" (

Wonder if it is not the Samsung "Variable Speed" Drive ???

Easiest option is to trash the WHS and have an XP with some simple backup package running.

Comments?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you've run chkdsk on all the WHS drives and it corrected some errors then you got backup problems shortly thereafter it seems to me as though the Samsung disk drive may be failing.

What were the errors chkdsk reported?

Are there any other hardware errors in the WHS event logs?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JoeP,

Got ESTool off the Samsung site and ran it on the WHS drive and received screensful of errors. Also ran it on my "other" 1,5TB drive on my main PC and also reported errors.

Now have the 2 drives here on my desk waiting for the Samsung agent to colect them. They do have a warrantee.

I am not sure I want to touch Samsung drives again.

Stick with components brands that have worked through the years.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    That is too bad. Hope you got everything backed up OK. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe