Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    St. Marys, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) and Windows XP. When I open it the first time, it shuts down a few seconds after it opens. When I immediately click on the icon, it opens and stays open, that is until it starts trying to download my messages. Then I get the message: "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." So, I click on this and it closes Outlook. Then I get on the merry-go-round again and again and again. Thus, it becomes impossible for me to use Outlook. Any ideas on what I can do?

    I have already tried repairing and reinstalling Outlook with no success.

  2. #2
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    John, how about getting something newer, it is 10 years old.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I have Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) and Windows XP. When I open it the first time, it shuts down a few seconds after it opens. When I immediately click on the icon, it opens and stays open, that is until it starts trying to download my messages. Then I get the message: "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." So, I click on this and it closes Outlook. Then I get on the merry-go-round again and again and again. Thus, it becomes impossible for me to use Outlook. Any ideas on what I can do?

    I have already tried repairing and reinstalling Outlook with no success.
    If you have web access to your mail account try using that and check for any strange looking emails, extremely large emails, emails with large attachments, etc. Delete what you can using the web interface then try Outlook again.

    If that fails you could try creating a new mail profile.

    Joe
    Joe

  4. #4
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,798
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 799 Times in 720 Posts
    Try opening Outlook in Safe Mode. ( http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/safemode.htm ). If that works, disable all your add ons and re enable them one at a time until you find the culprit.

    Jerry

  5. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    St. Marys, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you have web access to your mail account try using that and check for any strange looking emails, extremely large emails, emails with large attachments, etc. Delete what you can using the web interface then try Outlook again.

    If that fails you could try creating a new mail profile.

    Joe
    Hi, Joe. Thanks for the suggestions. I went to the web-based account and deleted the incoming emails. Outlook still tried to download them. I will try the new profile suggestion. I don't know if I will have enough time to do this before it malfunctions.

  6. #6
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    St. Marys, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    Try opening Outlook in Safe Mode. ( http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/safemode.htm ). If that works, disable all your add ons and re enable them one at a time until you find the culprit.

    Jerry
    Hi, Jerry. Thanks for the suggestion. Outlook wouldn't let me open it in safe mode.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Outlook could be trying to synchronize the delete items folder. Did you empty it on the web interface?

    Joe
    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •