Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wireless network adapter suddenly stopped receiving packets at all. Suspect some sort of malware messed with a registry entry or three but not know which ones. It is NOT a hardware problem because I substituted a USB wireless adapter and installed latest drivers and it has the same "problem", sends but does not receive. I put same USB Wireless adapter in a different computer, but same OS and drivers and it worked just fine. If I put a regular 10//100 rj45 ethernet cable in the offending laptop, IT works just fine, it acquires an IP address from the router and goes right onto the internet and sees the other computers on the network. Putting in static IP address info and static DNS info into the wireless adapter's properties sets the numbers just fine, but ping to router's IP or either of the DNS IP's all fail. I have tried WinsockFix.exe, LSP-fix.ext, and tried a few of the netsh commands to reset stacks etc. Obviously, none worked because I am writing here. I have also run MalwareBytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, SuperAntiSpyware, cCleaner, and scanned with AVG2011. Total spyware / adware / malware removed was in excess of 2000 items. Of course many computer reboots. Have also fooled with Checking and UNchecking the IEEE 802 authentication, enabling security (WEP, and WPA at router and trying), and disabling security, I have played with making a valid static IP address as the system fallback. It is not the router because I have substituted a different router from a different manufacturer on the off chance that this machine did not want to play nice.

The offending machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, circa 2004, Windows XP Media Center 32-bit, Service Pack 2, Intel-Pro-Wireless-2915abg-Adapter with latest driver installed. Windows Updates installed that are "important" or "Critical" - none installed around the time the Wireless network card decided to stop listening to the world. IP4 not IP6.

Am currently thinking that maybe install of Service Pack 3 will fix/overwrite whatever it is that is wrong.
    Next choice is to let Windows Setup Disk "repair" the current install.
    LAST choice is reformat and reinstall (yes, data is all backed up, just don't want the hassle of finding program install media, and then actually installing all that stuff again).
    There are no restore points, no Ghost/Acronis images (but you can bet there will be after this mess is solved!)

So, somebody with a lot of network, IP, registry, savvy got any suggestions? I've tried a lot of things, as you can see.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Try running this from a DOS prompt and then reboot the PC/Laptop: "netsh winsock reset catalog" How to trouble shoot network connections here's the link from M$;My link
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chowur,

Unfortunately, I had already tried resetting winsock using netsh and it did not work (I tried all the commands from within a command prompt window, regular mode and safe mode, and console). None had any effect on this particular problem.

I do thank you for the link! I have converted the page to PDF and intend to work my way all the way through it. If any part of it fixes the problem. I will post the results here.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Hi TEStirewalt, access your router's page, change the SSID, set security of your choice. Check the WAN section to ensure MTU is as your ISP states. Now power up wireless PC (unwired) enter key and it will set all automatically.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner,
    Did you even READ my ENTIRE post?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TEStirewalt View Post
    Roderunner,
    Did you even READ my ENTIRE post?
    3 or 4 times
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you have done all the "easy" stuff and a lot of the hard things. Removing 2,000 plus malware items is pretty scary. I would be seriously thinking about the big hammer of format and reinstall. The fact that wired works indicates that the system level network issues that may be left over from the malware have been fixed. About the only thing that I can think of that you do not mention in your post, would be to uninstall the network adapter in the hardware manager and then reinstall it. I would try and make sure that the old drivers were totally overwritten when the reinstall happens.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try restarting your router/wireless access point and making sure there is enough ip address it could dish out if dhcp server is enabled. Let the wireless devices/laptop rediscover the AP. This happened to me trying to fix the laptop wireless connectivity and forgetting about the AP not having the problem. May work for you too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks y'all.

Uninstalling old wireless driver and installing the latest and greatest from the Dell site did not work.

I am sure router is not the problem. I have swapped out routers here. I have gone to a couple of other places and tried to connect with their working routers and failed with the wireless, but succeeded with the wired.

This problem has now gotten to the point where it is a "challenge", and I am spending way too much time on it, but, by gollly, I intend to solve this thing.

I have even gone into Group Policy to see if some malware made some changes there. (nope).

I do not know enough about the registry (yet) to safely and effectively fiddle with the networking keys (which is why I ran programs such as windsockfix.exe).

Please keep the suggestions comming.

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Uninstalling old wireless driver and installing the latest and greatest from the Dell site did not work.
    That is not quite the same as uninstalling the device itself, rebooting and letting windows find and reinstall it again.....

I have very little faith that the above will fix the problem though...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Removing the DEVICE, as opposed to uninstalling the drivers, then rebooting machine so it re-discovers the hardware, then installing the latest driver, did NOT solve the problem, as you predicted.

Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if it will help, this site may give your some ideas Windows Wireless Zero Configuration: Five Steps to Sanity that you've not considered yet. By any chance the bios setting related to the builtin nic card are enabled? Usually Intel brand nic has hardware diagnostics to test your nic and usually installed with the driver. May help give you hardware related issue.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been to both places and converted each to PDF so I can follow the instructions more easily. Thank you for the links. I will post results when I have some.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh-oh this does sound like a hardware bus issue to me! It is very strange that you can receive but not transmit. If the bus the NIC is connected to had a problem, this could happen. Crazy thought is also what if the CMOS battery was dead? Could that happen in a Dell computer when that battery goes dead? If the clock is reset default at power up, than this is definitely the problem! Since you cannot get transmit on the USB device either the SuperI/O bus has got a problem or a part has failed on the motherboard that the outgoing packets use to exit the interface. In that case only one solution will fix that...replace the computer, or if you wish the motherboard. Pretty sure that's where the problem is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast