2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

So I have a help file (chm). Select it and the standard left and right panes come up fine. So I uploaded it to my web site and downloaded it. Whether I download it with IE8, FireFox 3.6, or Opera 10.6 the file downloads fine. I then compare the original and the three downloaded files and all four are identical as measured binary, MD5 and SHA-1 compares. The one downloaded by Opera works fine, click on it and it opens just like the original. However the ones downloaded by IE and FF open, and the left hand pane is fine on contents and searches just fine. But the right hand pane just shows -

" Navigation to the webpage was canceled
    What you can try:
    Retype the address."

What is going on here?! - and how do I fix it?

Puzzled petermat

Thanks
    Not sure, but have you tried to Right-Click the files and "Unlock" them?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Unlocker" says it is not locked.

My (wild) guess though is that you are on the right lines in that, as the files are identical they must behave the same, right? But not if there is some 'property' associated by the Browser / windows with the file that affects it's behavior in windows, but is not part of the file as far as the binary etc file comparisons are concerned. But even if this is true I have no clue what this property may be or why different browsers produce different behavior.

Success!! This line of thought led me to check the Properties of each file, and lo - the downloaded files Properties window had a 'Security' message saying "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" and offering an "Unblock" button. Bingo!

See - you were only one letter out - it had to be "unblocked" not "unlocked".

Thanks for reply!

petermat