New Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend with 4-year old but still very smoothly running PC (XP Pro 32) bought a new LCD TV and though the card detected the TV as a second monitor at a resolution of 1920x1200, I thought I would update drivers for her Radeon X1650 video card to optimize TV viewing via the PC.

First, as per ATI instructions, I uninstalled the existing drivers and rebooted, then installed the new drivers (I was directed by the ATI site to version 10.2) and rebooted again. On starting up, I got the Windows startup screen but at the end of the process the monitor went black with the notice, "going to sleep," which I could not get out of. Same sequence on hitting the reset button.

Rebooted in Safe Mode. There is no longer any "hibernation/sleep" option in "Power Options." Windows detected "new hardware" on startup but couldn't install. The PC monitor and HDTV and video card are no longer detected - in "Preferences" the single monitor is "default" and the adaptor is "VGA Display Controller." In Device manager the monitor doesn't appear at all and "Video controller" and "Video controller (VGA compatible)" appear under "Other devices."

The ATI Catalyst Control Center appeard on the computer but would not open. I tried various things - I tried loading just the ATI driver rather than the whole Catalyst Control Center module...I tried System Restore to the day before... I tried reloading the original ATI drivers (series 8.) from the CD that came with the PC... After much trial and error, the only thing I can do to make the PC minimally usable is to uninstall the ATI drivers while in Safe Mode and reboot. This leaves the machine, in normal mode, in the state I describe in the preceding paragraph.

Ouch! Any ideas please?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have time for a long explanation right now but maybe someone will pick up the ball and carry it across the goal line for you.

You will always get VGA-compatible, generic yada yada when in safe mode, that's done on purpose in case the video drivers are preventing proper booting; many drivers are prevented from loading in safe mode.

Second is that when the system boots normally and when the monitor goes blank, if this is normally a HDTV, then there are some very specific resolutions that will be compatible, and not necessarilly the native resolution of the HDTV. You have to check the owners manual for the compatible resolutions for the connection that is being used.

If you have a normal monitor that accepts all resolutions up to 1920x1200 does it boot and display normally? If so, resolution is definitely the problem with the HDTV.

Thanks
    Also verify that the firmware in the Radeon X1650 is up-to-date and compatible with the driver version you are trying to install.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying.

Clarifications/answers: I've edited my original post slightly to try and clear up misunderstandings...

1. The VGA-compatible, generic stuff remains after rebooting again in normal mode.

2. Before I started all this the HDTV appeared as a second monitor at 1920x1200. Now the HDTV no longer appears at all. A Samsung 971P 4:3 is the primary monitor.

3. To reiterate, this is my situation after a reboot from Safe mode into normal mode:

"There is no longer any "hibernation/sleep" option in "Power Options." Windows detected "new hardware" on startup but couldn't install. The PC monitor and HDTV and video card are no longer detected - in "Preferences" the single monitor is "default" and the adaptor is "VGA Display Controller." In Device manager the monitor doesn't appear at all and "Video controller" and "Video controller (VGA compatible)" appear under "Other devices."

4. I can't find any hint of a firmware update on the ATI site but I do suspect that these were the wrong drivers, despite the fact that the ATI site directed me to them after I keyed-in all the relevant info. I'm trying to verify with ATI but I'm not confident of any joy from them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...3&lang=English
    Those should be the correct drivers if that's where you got them from. If you go into safe mode will it let you uninstall the ATI drivers from either the device manager or Add and Remove Programs if its there? And when booting now do you have the HDTV disconnected so you're just trying to get video back on the computer monitor? That's because sometimes if the HDTV monitor is detected first, older cards will automatically switch to that as the primary and if the resolution is incompatible, well, you'll never get a visible signal to either monitor then.

If its not recognizing the ATI drivers when you try to install again or it just seems to ignore them, there is usually a setting in the BIOS, I forget exactly what it is called but something like Reset Configuration Data. It will be disabled but enable it for the next boot and see if the card is properly detected then. I'm surprised SR didn't reset to the old configuration though, it has always bailed me out in such a situation.

If you do get it up and running again you can't let the 2nd monitor (the HDTV) settings be accepted as 1920x1200. There is no such setting, the highest it can be is 1920x1080 and that's only if the HDTV is compatible with those resolution settings for the connection used. Like I said, I've seen a lot of HDTV monitors that only accept a few resoution settings and often enough, one of those resoution settings is not the native resolution setting of the HDTV monitor through either a VGA, DVI or HDMI connection. Usually 1024x768 is safe to try. Usually.

Hope that helps. I run many PCs on HDTVs and once set up and running they are fine but to get them configured in the first place can be a bit fussy. If you can't restore the original config with just the one PC monitor though then you aren't even to the step of trying to configure the HDTV so concentrate on that first.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That all makes perfect sense to me and yes, I had the HDTV connected the whole time. I guess it was 1920x1080 - this is the first time I've messed with an LCD TV and I was quoting from memory - it was the highest resolution as shown on the PC Properties Settings, toggling to the right. I won't be able to get to this until tomorrow or maybe Wednesday. I'm anxious that Windows may have suffered a partial lobotomy (SR not baling me out) but optimism has never really been my strong suit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron, you saved my _ss - problem solved. As I said, I had left the HDTV plugged into the PC the whole time. When I ran the sequence with it unplugged, everything went without a hiccup. Many, many thanks, to RussB, to this great forum and especially to you, Byron.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem, hope you are able to run native resolution on the HDTV, I run two computers on a 47" at 1920x1080 and it is quite acceptable resolution, unlike my first attempt on a 720p 32" monitor which wasn't really good enough for icons and text based display (decent for video though).