New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

I have removed MS Office from my Win 7 system using CCleaner uninstall. Also installed MS Works and any other reader type programs from MS. I have let CCleaner remove any "leftovers as well. However, MS Update bugs me every day wanting to update MS Office. How do I completely remove MS Office remnants so this stops?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!

I'm guessing that in your second sentence you meant "uninstalled" instead of "installed".

Have you rebooted since the uninstalls?

What fixes are being offered?

Do any Office products still show in Control Panel - "Uninstall a Program"?

You can hide the fixes by right clicking a fix and selecting "hide update".

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Gerry, I would also like to welcome you to the Lounge.

In another recent thread a member compared CCleaner uninstaller with Revo Uninstaller. In his personal tests, Revo won hands down. I do use CCleaner for what it is intended, but for uninstalling needs, I use Revo Uninstaller almost exclusively. I believe ti finds and removes more leftovers than any other uninstaller. In your case since you have already uninstalled, in order to allow Revo to do it's job you would first have to reinstall Office. In this case Joe's hide routine would probably be the easiest method.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have hid the updates but every day there seem to be new ones appear from as far back as 2008.
    I did original uninstall using Control Panel and then followed up with CCleaner.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Use CCleaner to check your system startup directory. There might be a program that is looking for office updates. If there is, delete the startup reference and then the program.

If you are not sure on how to do this, I will be happy to post some examples.

Larry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows Update > Change Settings - untick the Microsoft Update. Result: no more Office and other Microsoft software updates.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    In Windows Update > Change Settings - untick the Microsoft Update. Result: no more Office and other Microsoft software updates.
    This will cause you to loose all updates save Windows. I believe that would include any app not native to Windows. Since Win 7 has much more of an A La Carte feel to it, you may not get some important updates by doing this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Good View Post
    Thanks. I have hid the updates but every day there seem to be new ones appear from as far back as 2008.
    I did original uninstall using Control Panel and then followed up with CCleaner.
    Hi Gerry,

After an uninstall via the Control Panel, there should be nothing left except registry entries and user files containing personalisations etc, plus any documents you've worked on. CCleaner can help remove the unwanted registry and userfile personalisations too.

Having said that, it would appear that MS Office and/or MS Works was not completely removed from your system. In that case, you might need to use the Uninstall Tool for Microsoft Office. Assuming you had Office 2007 installed, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    when you say "installed MS Works and any other reader type programs from MS" are you talking that you install word viewer or something similiar?
    If you have installed word viewer this is still considered a office program and will show office updates for it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    ...but for uninstalling needs, I use Revo Uninstaller almost exclusively. I believe ti finds and removes more leftovers than any other uninstaller.
    I use Revo Uninstaller Pro, which does a better job than the free version, but even it doesn't do a complete job of removal. To completely remove all traces of a program, it's necessary to run a registry cleaning program after uninstalling a program. My favorite is the free RegSeeker which, in addition to being a complete registry cleaner, allows the user to locate and remove registry references to a specific program.
    Jim