New Lounger
    Thanks
    Like it says in the title - note that this is from Server/Exchange 2003, not SBS 2003. Does anyone have any particular tips/warnings/ideas for this? It's easy to find migration tips for SBS 2003-to-SBS 2008, but i can't find anything for this situation.

It's a single-server domain with 20-odd users, most on the same site and the rest on subnets linked in via VPN (dealt with by Sonicwall hardware firewalls rather than the server). So if I fire up the new server will it just copy over AD and the Exchange databases/details nicely and share until we phase out the old server, or is there a chance of it doing something appalling?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No knock at the "Lounge" here, but a great resource for all things MS server can be found at : smallbizserver.net. I had a small sbs2003 server I nurtured a couple of years back and that site was a life saver. They'd like to have you subscribe as a paying member but the free membership was enough for my needs. The folks there came through on several issues we encountered - both on the SBS stuff and the exchange end of the critter. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also meant to add something else - have you considered imaging the hard drive set (break and remake raid? or imaging software?) and just trying to import your exchange and all? It's always nice to have a do-over.

Thanks
    The only bizarre difference I found in the change from Windows Server 2003 / Exchange Server 2003 to SBS 2008 with Exchange 2007 was the new lack of integration for the management tools (ADUC and ESM) in 2008. And problems with some printer drivers on the main 64-bit server, which caused me to have to move those to the 32-bit server. Consider NAS and iSCSI for backup - iSCSI is spectacularly fast!

Since I don't migrate servers for a living, I got our local Technical Support firm to do it for me. Money well spent!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I do migrate servers for a living and as BATcher says, the upgrade is not too painful, unless you have invalid characters in your email alias - space in an invalid character!
    I do prefer the "old" 2003 exchange with it's AD integration. Whilst 2007 has some nice features, it's painful to have to swap between Exchange Management and ADUC to get a job done. And you must remember NOT to create an Exchange mailbox when you create a new user in ADUC. You have to go to Ex Manager to add new mailboxes, or preferable create users, then return to ADUC to finish the job.

Maybe you should stick to 2003?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Haaaa - fun.

I know it's been a long break since I posted this, but I decided to leave the migration till the Xmas break. Luckily.

The story of my ongoing horrors, to warn others and see if anyone can offer advice:

Followed this guy's advice: http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...s-2008-part-1/ and http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...s-2008-part-3/ (and note, if adprep /forestprep fails mysteriously it's probably your antivirus; the net has people who found it was a problem with McAfee and I found that Sophos does the same. Disabling it doesn't work, you have to remove it.)

This got me as far as creating the answer file and kicking off the new server, which ignored the answer file. Tried various USB drives, a CD and recreating the answer file on different PCs. No joy. Found people on the web claiming that even though their servers didn't show evidence of reading the answer file they picked up the settings, so I decide what the hell, let it complete, I can always reinstall if it doesn't work. (Ha. You'll see....)

A couple of tips about the answer file that I can't swear to: change its name to all lower-case and have the USB drive plugged in right from the beginning. The first didn't work for me, and I found the second too late to try.

Interestingly the new server seemed to pick up some of the answer file; it got the IP address I assigned it, but not the domain, which makes it fairly useless since it won't talk to the old server's AD or anything. Right I thought, reinstall time.

Which fails as soon as I boot off the Dell install disk, with a message that a required CD/DVD device driver is missing. W. T. F. Brand new server, manufacturer's disks, and I can't reinstall factory settings?

Any thoughts? (Yes, I've tried downloading the relevant drivers off Dell's site; they're .exe's. And I'm waiting for their tech support to call me back while I type this to vent, but considering that it's New Year's Eve I probably won't hear anything till Tuesday.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use the Dell install / setup CD and fill in the relevant sections, then follow the instructions. Their setup disks are good and ensure the correct drivers are loaded from scratch.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Guess again! Like I said, I'm using the Dell install DVD.

And they don't seem to provide driver files for this model of DVD-ROM for download, just a .exe to flash with, which is no use whatsoever in this situation. I'll brave their tech support tomorrow, but they've been useless so far. Damn, Dell have gone downhill.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have used the Dell install CD/DVD and never encountered a problem, unless you use an old version on a new server. Have you downloaded the latest one for that server?

I can't fault Dell support. I use 4 hour response support and to date it's been very good, although their paranoia about answering your call in time does get a bit annoying after they've asked you 3 times during the same call.

cheers, Paul