Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently, I've been living in a cave, blissfully using Word 2003. I've just upgraded the computer and software and the Office suite, chiefly Word 2010. And so far, it completely sucks.

I'm a simple person. I write. I'm not an art director. I use keyboard commands instead of the mouse or selecting from pull-down windows because taking my hands off the keyboard is SLOW.

I don't get breathless about formatting and using styles (form follows function, I use Courier New and maybe Times New Roman from time to time) and I'm not a corporate user who has to track all the people who've had their way with my work.

I try not to use words as ornaments or substitute groovy layout for actual ideas.

The software is called Word, not Photoshop or Pretty Picture Editor.

Unfortunately, I have clients who use Word 2010 (and are annoyed at having to convert plain text up and back) or I'd probably still be using WordPerfect 5.0 for DOS.

Can anyone suggest ways to turn off all this interferrent frippery (85 styles, pull-down windows for pull-down windows, permissions, etc.) and just get back to simply writing? For example, I used to be able to simply hit alt-F and C to close a document. Now it's a fifteen-step menu with choices about who can and can't make changes and what they have to be wearing to be able to comment.

Thanks.

Neal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Neal,

You might want to try UbitMenu a free download to get back the 2003 menus. Another option would be to download Open Office, also free, which can read & write MS Office file formats.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if this will help but there is an Office 2010 - Use these interactive guides to find the new menu and toolbar commands that you might have a look out. A friend is using it until he gets a handle on where some of the commands are.

Here's another site a bit easier to navigate with a list of Interactive Guides
    Patricia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a Microsoft Blog about using Word 2010 just for writing.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_of...-edition1.aspx

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Many of the keyboard commands continue to work the same in Word 2010 - for example, you can use Ctrl+s to save a document, and Ctr+w to close it.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealNYC View Post
    Apparently, I've been living in a cave, blissfully using Word 2003.
    Yes, read all the posts about the Word 2007 UI and you will see this is not really a new issue.

For example, I used to be able to simply hit alt-F and C to close a document. Now it's a fifteen-step menu with choices about who can and can't make changes and what they have to be wearing to be able to comment.
    When I use Word 2007, I miss the Alt+F menu, too. To close a document, you could try Ctrl+F4. That works in most MDI apps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For example, I used to be able to simply hit alt-F and C to close a document.
    Alf-F C still works for me in word 2010 (and 2007).
    Regards
    John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Use ALT in any of the ribbon enabled applications will display an overlay of the keys to push for the various options available to you. For the most part these are the same keyboard commands as in older versions of Office.

Here's a few links to the Office 2010 help about keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Word 2010

Keyboard shortcuts in Excel 2010

Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Outlook 2010

Keyboard shortcuts for use while creating a presentation in PowerPoint 2010

Keyboard shortcuts for use while delivering a presentation in PowerPoint 2010

Keyboard shortcuts for SmartArt graphics - PowerPoint - Microsoft Office

Keyboard shortcuts for working with shapes, text boxes, and WordArt - PowerPoint - Microsoft Office

For more see the Accesibility section in Help for any individual application.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Ctrl+W works for me to close the current document (Word 97 - 2010).

It also works in Excel, PowerPoint and Notepad. In Access, it allows you to close the current Form, Table, Query, etc. I think it may have been part of Microsoft's initial Common GUI standards and -- bless 'em -- still is.

Kim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, I have clients who use Word 2010 (and are annoyed at having to convert plain text up and back) or I'd probably still be using WordPerfect 5.0 for DOS.

I'm not sure what you mean by that sentence. There was absolutely no need for you to upgrade to Word 2010 just because everyone else is using it. You can make Office 2003 fully compatible with Office 2007/2010 by installing the FREE Microsoft Office Compatibility pack. That will let you open any Office 2007/2010 document and edit it it.

Microsoft has been consistently criticised for foisting ribbons onto us. Some users say that they like it but personally I think it was a futile effort to redesign the interface for something to do: they broke what worked. In the right hands, Word will never be as productive with Ribbons than it was with menus.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here, here;

I use a lot of custom menus and buttons with customised icons with VBA both at home and work.

The ribbon (pewk) doesn't let you use customised icons, or add custom menus to the quick access toolbar.

In short Office 2007 & Office 2010 SUCK!!!!!

I'll stick with Office 2003

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post

Microsoft has been consistently criticised for foisting ribbons onto us. Some users say that they like it but personally I think it was a futile effort to redesign the interface for something to do: they broke what worked. In the right hands, Word will never be as productive with Ribbons than it was with menus.
    Terry,

I'm with you but you could say the same thing about Windows and how it BROKE WordPerfect 5.1 {A Classic} took me a loooooong time to break all those old habits but as much as I love keyboard shortcuts I can't imaging going back to a keyboard only program or giving up my VBA! They have a word for it...let me think...oh yeah Progress.

Flash forward 10 years change a couple of words in the above and you can re-post it next time MS changes the interface to touch screen only! I'm buying stock in Non-Ammonia based window cleaner now, I'll be rich if I live long enough.

I'll try to get the tongue out of my cheek before my next post, I promise!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Terry,

you could say the same thing about Windows and how it BROKE WordPerfect 5.1 {A Classic}
    To this day, WordPerfect X5 allows you to use WiordPerfect 5.1 commands by default if you so choose. It's less expensive than Word as well, and it keeps Microsoft,which to the best of my understanding owns a piece of it, from being a monopoly.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If one's requirement is serious word processing, WordPerfect leaves Word in the dust. I have had both for many years, using WP for (as examples) getting things done effectively and efficiently, direct formatting features, large document stability, tight document control, the ability to work outside of styles, powerful but user-friendly macros, efficient file sizes, and long-term file compatibility and stability. I also appreciate WP's highly responsive user help forums and newsgroups. I keep Word on hand solely for dealing with occasional document conversion issues.

Many WP users customize and compact their WP user interface to their own needs and preferences, and WP's possibilities for doing that are easy and extensive. The comparatively inflexible Word 2007 and 2010 ribbons occupy overly much of the screen, and are good at showing me many features I do not want but not so good at showing me the features I do want.

Word's dominance is attributable to marketing brilliance, not programming brilliance. As but one example of that, for years MS required OEMs of pre-installed Windows computers to include Word for Windows -- with the result that Word is the only word processing program with which many Windows users are familiar. For such users Word often is or seems "good enough" (and for many such users OpenOffice would actually be "good enough"). Inertia and "standardization" isolate Word users from discovering WP, but if they were to discover WP many of them would not look back.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neytiri View Post
    If one's requirement is serious word processing, WordPerfect leaves Word in the dust. I have had both for many years, using WP for (as examples) getting things done effectively and efficiently, direct formatting features, large document stability, tight document control, the ability to work outside of styles, powerful but user-friendly macros, efficient file sizes, and long-term file compatibility and stability. I also appreciate WP's highly responsive user help forums and newsgroups. I keep Word on hand solely for dealing with occasional document conversion issues.

Many WP users customize and compact their WP user interface to their own needs and preferences, and WP's possibilities for doing that are easy and extensive. The comparatively inflexible Word 2007 and 2010 ribbons occupy overly much of the screen, and are good at showing me many features I do not want but not so good at showing me the features I do want.

Word's dominance is attributable to marketing brilliance, not programming brilliance. As but one example of that, for years MS required OEMs of pre-installed Windows computers to include Word for Windows -- with the result that Word is the only word processing program with which many Windows users are familiar. For such users Word often is or seems "good enough" (and for many such users OpenOffice would actually be "good enough"). Inertia and "standardization" isolate Word users from discovering WP, but if they were to discover WP many of them would not look back.
    My 2-line post on 5.1 commands wasn't intended to start a debate over different products, but one argument you might have added is that W was late in discovering PDF.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast