New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys!

I have searched the forum with regard to my query, so apologise if I have missed the answer!

We have recently started using Office 2007 and a few of our secretaries have reported some issues they have found when tracking changes in a Word document.

Our Agreement styles use the Heading 1 numbering style, and when tracking changes the following occurs:-

(1) If for example a new clause 1.1 is being inserted, clause 1.2 will be created and will be tracked to show a new 1.2, but will also display 1.1 as having been deleted... I have attached a screen shot to show you what I mean!!!

[attachment=90514:Tracking.jpg]

(2) On inserting a new clause 1.1, the tracked numbering will now appear in grey font. Again you will see what I mean by the screen shot. The text itself will display in the colour given to the author tracking the document, but the numbering will not be assigned the same colour, it is always displayed in grey. I have checked settings but can't see where this can be changed, if it all!

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah T
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what behavior you want. I have seen what you describe, usually on client computers. But right now I can't seem to make Word do it on mine. I have sometimes selected the numbering and accepted the changes to the numbering only. Would doing something like that work for you?

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It appears that the colour of the numbers is always grey if you show the revisions coloured by author. If you set a specific colour for all insertions and deletions then the tracked numbering appears in a predictable colour.

I can't see any setting that alters this behaviour
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam/Andrew - thank you both so much for your reply I really appreciate your feedback and will pass on both of your suggestions to our users.

Regards

Sarah

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Perhaps the way Track Changes "looks" at the numbering change is that after the user change (new heading), Word itself is making the numbering change and not the user who added the the new heading level or who changed the text of another heading. That makes sense to me and prevents users from thinking that "Joe" changed all the numbers fromt here to the end--perhaps even in sections he should not have touched.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That does actually make perfect sense Pam!!

Thanks again for taking the time out to help me!!

Sarah

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You're welcome.
    Pam Caswell