Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a defrag on the D drive (Applications) using Defraggler which has the facility for viewing individual files, and noted 6 fragmented files DDn.exe (n=4,5,13,14,16 &17) in my Downloads folder - but when looking directly in the folder, they were not there. A bit of hunting around the web gave me the uneasy feel that these are naughties.

A seemingly approved site I didn't know called PrevX.com gave some information but also a free malware scanner that didn't locate anything on the whole drive. The path lead me to the Recycler folder which I also had to research to fill in the gaps in my knowledge! I then did an empty of the Recycle Bin and ran the Defrag again, and this time these files had disappeared.

Any reassurance or guidance would be appreciated.

Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I searched for DD4.EXE and DD13.EXE. Google returned some results from both prevx.com and threatexpert.com. Kind of hard to understand, but it looks like these files are parts of some sophisticated worms / trojans.

What do you use for spyware removal or antivirus software? You should probably download the free version of Malware Bytes and try its scan.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that - it was the google search that lead me to become concerned. I also found a file in the start up area that was also suspicious, but I later found it is an MS webcam file; I've only just installed a webcam !!

Anyway I ran the Malware Bytes program and also MS's malware program and nothing was found so it does seem to have been a scare ! However I now do have two malware programs to use for checking monthly or so.

Thanks again
    Rob