3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a small wired network with 3 computers.

My main office computer uses XP Home and a second occasionally used specific task laptop uses Windows 2000. This network has worked perfectly for years.

If I am at the Windows 2000 laptop and create a folder on the office XP Home computer the folder is created just fine as has always been the case. All of a sudden though if I try to RENAME that new folder the office XP computer suddenly shuts down and reboots.

I don't imagine I'll be able to get any specific help on this as it seems to me the cause could be a myriad of possible conflicts. I thought I'd at least ask though.

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks
    Hi BH,

Do you see the same behavior if you create the folder on the XP machine and then try to rename the folder?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald,

Good question. Nope.........no problems on the XP machine by itself at all.

BH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What about if you use the OTHER (3rd) xp machine to create and rename the folder over the network?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I took Gerald's question to mean, create the folder on the XP machine then try and rename it using the Win2K box.

Also, your statement "created just fine as has always been the case" would lead me to believe this worked until recently. Have you changed anything in the network or on either computer involved?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually a sudden shutdown and then reboot indicates a failing power supply! The signal goes away from the "power good" wire and the computer cuts off. Perhaps there is a large processor load and NIC card running at the same time and the current power supply can't handle it. Replace it because when shutdown/reboot occurs frequently it is almost always a power supply problem!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Neat Allen.........thanks for the input. I will definitely keep that in mind. The shut down/reboot was not making any sense. That is a very reasonable explanation.
    BH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know it has been some months since I posted this but I want to report on the resolution of the problem that I have now finally found.

Norton GoBack........well, Norton in general..........was the problem.

Turned out the crashes began after upgrading to Norton 360 v.4 from v.3. It seems there was a conflict between 360 v.4 and GoBack. I finally uninstalled GoBack and discovered the problem went away. I reinstalled GoBack and the problem returned. Then I found a GoBack update that Symantec Automatic Updates didn't find and downloaded and installed it. The problem went away.

Thanks for all who helped try to sort this out. I suppose those of us who persist in using GoBack should begin all our questions with "by the way I use Norton GoBack" !!

BH Davis
    Last edited by bhdavis; 2011-04-25 at 11:36.

Thanks
    Hi BH Davis,

Thanks for posting back your resolution to the problem. Glad you found the culprit!