Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently my Word 2010 docx files are becoming huge the moment I use Paste-Special to embed an xlsx table (Excel 2010).

For example, a 15 KB text only document became a 10,205 KB file with only one embedded table (Paste Special - Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object - OK). The table is 10 columns by 25 rows, nothing fancy.

I know I can avoid much of this by pasting the Excel object as a Picture (Enhanced Metafile), but I wanted to retain the edit in place feature. Been using that for years.

I've been using Office 2010 for a few months, but have not experienced this until just recently. Any ideas? What did I do to deserve this?

I'm using only one font in the Word file, Calibri. Same in Excel.

Thanks for any help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How large is the Excel workbook? The entire workbook is going to be saved inside the Word file which will add to the file size. The Edit in Place feature can be nasty if you have other data in the workbook that you don't want the other Word users to see. If the user chooses to edit the graphic then they have access to the entire workbook which is saved inside the Word document.

Another reason that the file size can grow enormously is if the graphic happens to appear on the first page of the document and your Save settings in Word include a preview thumbnail. Do a File>Save As and make sure the 'save thumbnail' check box is off.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you've nailed it.

The original Excel file is just over 10MB. I tried the same paste from a new Excel file containing just the table I wanted - the original had about six tabs with other data - and the Word file did not grow in size appreciably.

The Save Thumbnail check box was not selected; I believe it is off by default.

Thanks, mate!