New Lounger
    Thanks
    At some point early in the last month and for no apparent reason my Start Menu, Frequently Used Programs list disappeared! I suppose I could live without it but I found it helped my workflow. My OS is Windows XP Pro SP3 fully updated. As there have been many Windows updates to install in the last month they came under suspicion but I have a laptop that has been treated to the same without any such problem.

I made sure the Number of Programs on Start was more than 0; and cleared the list by pressing the clear list button but the list didnít rebuild. I tried restoring to an earlier point to no avail and using CCleaner to clean both the Registry and elsewhere did not help. Neither did using the Group Policy editor to disable the Policy: Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu.

I would welcome any bright ideas that would get my Start Menu, Frequently Used Programs list back and working

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if Start Menu Most Frequently Used Programs list is emptty helps.

If not check out some of the other links at xp frequently used programs missing - Bing.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Almost any "clean up" [CCleaner/Windows Disk Cleanup] utility will also clear the MFU list. The good news is that it can alway be rebuilt.
    Look through the detailed properties of any clean up utility for an option to keep MFU start menu listings.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. Been there, done those. Now I have been trying modifying settings directly in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and generally going round in circles BUT I may have solved it... The line separating the Pinned Items List and the Frequently Used Programs List has re-appeared; and now one program... If I have, I will post how I think I/we did it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have my Frequently Used Programs List in the Start menu back After all else including modifying settings in the Registry failed, I decided to bite the bullet and deleted the lines NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList & NoInstrumentation lines under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

...and that did it! The list rebuilt. Thanks for the leads.

Interestingly, the line NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList
    under HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
    has reappeared.

But I still don't know what caused the Frequently Used Programs List to disappear in the first place ! ?
    (Oh, and I did backup the registry before all the fiddling.)