Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the power settings configured to power down the hard drives after 20 minutes of inactivity. How do I know the drives have actually powered down?
    I'm building a new system and the open case it sitting here in front of me while I get ready to finish everything. I hear a little buzz now and again while sitting at my desk that sounds like a drive spinning up. I don't have any AV or anti-this-or-that scheduled to do anything at this time.

Is there any way to really prove that the drives are powered down...and what does that really mean anyways?

Thanks
    My PC hdd's never power down, its on 24/7/365 plus 1 for leap years. hdd is nearly 5 years old.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If its quiet you will hear them spin up as it seems you may be. They can spin up for all sorts of reasons, expecially with Window 7 which does a lot of low CPU activity maintenance and indexing. Powered down means they are not spinning (for magnetic platter disks; don't know what that means for SS drives, maybe that is the natural state or there is no such state). You can tell if they're powered down if they are cool to the touch and if you try to access anything on a drive that is powered down, there will be a several second pause as the drive spins up and the actuators move to read data.