New Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought an Acer Easystore WHS to use as backup for my 4 home computers. It comes with the OS on a 1TB drive and I added 3 more. From the day I got it I was unhappy.

I could not figure out how to mirror or RAID the OS drive so that I could swap it out if it fails. Apparently this can be done with the data drives. Acer technical support had no clue about the WHS and eventually I concluded that there was no way to mirror and protect the OS drive. As predicted the OS drive failed after 6 months and after sending the whole computer off to Acer I got it back with a new blank 1TB drive that I had to reintstall the OS onto. After that it would not recognize any of the old backups present on the 3 other drives (I have 4 other computers that automatically backup to the WHS). It made me reformat all the drives and destroy all the backups and start from scratch again.

The whole reason I got a WHS was to have RAID protection of my data. The WHS is running again and backing up my 4 computers but I have not been able find a way of drive imaging the OS drive. I own Acronis but it does not support WHS. I also read that even if it is mirrored and the OS drive replaced that the drive will somehow have a different ID number and require all sorts of fancy registry manipulation to get it to recognize itself. I can't believe that a product that is marketed as a failsafe backup system could be so flawed. I am not sure if this OS drive backup problem affects all WHS systems or just the Acer easystore system.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Todd

P.S. I just decommissioned a Windows Small Business Server 2003 from my office but do not want to tackle a domain system at my home (I don't think Server 2003 can join a workgroup?). I thought about installing the WHS onto it (dual Xenon 2.8 GHz processors, 6 years old). Perhaps I could install a hardware RAID controller to mirror the OS drive?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just read about the new WHS "Vail" based on Server 2008. Apparently it does have the ability to backup the drive with the OS on it. This makes me think there is no solution for the current WHS.
    Todd

New Lounger
    Thanks
    WHS is Windows Home Server

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You ought to check out Mediasmartserver.net. It is a WHS enthusiast site. There is an extensive blog roll on the lower right of the home page. Forums there or at some of the linked sites might provide you with better information. Some of the sites are run by WHS MVPs. The mediasmartserver.net site is run by Alex Kuretz who worked for HP when the HP MediaSmart platform for WHS was first produced.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do NOT use software RAID, hardware is the only option because you can start the machine with only one disk installed whereas Windows requires the full complement and in the correct order. Windows crashes cause a very long and slow re-build of the RAID array, etc, etc.

cheers, Paul