3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Toshiba Sattelite Laptop running Vista.

I recently acquired a LEGAL PAID FOR Win 7 Installation disc.

What do I have to do about the existing operating system before installing Win 7?

Thank you very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    First; download, install, and run the PC Upgrade Advisor for Windows 7. It will tell you if you have any issues that will stop the upgrade from happening.

Second, make sure you have Windows 7 drivers for all your hardware. Notebooks can be tricky so check with Toshiba for your model. If you can't find Windows 7 drivers sometime Vista drivers will work.

When you are ready to upgrade backup your system before starting the upgrade. An image backup is best just in case the worst happens and you need to revert to Vista. You MUST at least backup any data that is important to you.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx very much Joe. Wilco!

Thanks
    Once your back up Image is completed, insert the Win 7 DVD, reboot, choose boot from disk, and choose the custom (Clean) install (I believe this gives the most pristine OS), choose to install in the Vista partition (This installs Win 7 directly over the Vista partition). This option will give a clean install of Win 7, AND creates in folder in your root directory (C Drive) called windows.old You can open this folder just like any other folder. In this folder you will find you entire Vista OS. You can then grab all your data (Favorites, Pictures, Contacts, etc) and drag them into the correct spots in Win 7. Once you have everything you want, the remaining windows.old folder can be deleted as it is rather large and will take a while to delete. Remember to empty the recycle bin after deleting it.

Once done, or before hand, check a couple of the various tips sites for Win 7. Some of my favorites are:

Paul Thorrott's Windows Supersite.

How To Geek

Windows Seven Forums tutorials

You will find more ways to tweaks and customize your Windows 7 experience than you can possibly read in a week. Have fun.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy