Thread: MY Documents

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Setting up SBS 2003 on network that previously was peer to peer XP network.

Every workstation and user had their own My document folder.

When I added users to server, I directed their my document folder to same folder on their computer so they wouldn't be disrupted for the short term.

With 10 users, what would be the proper way to move and rename their my document folders to the server. I'm thinking of have 10 my document folders on the server they can access - each one personalized with their name, such as "my documents - mary", etc.

Then on their desktops change the my document icon's path to that location.

Or is there a better , different way to do this?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Why do you want "My Documents" to be on the network?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why do you want "My Documents" to be on the network?
    Best place for it in my opinion, Central backup and available from any machine that the user logs into.

I assume you are using the SBS as a domain controller. If so, you can go to the user on the server, click on properties and then go to the Profile tab. Under Home folder you can put in a path and the drive letter that you wish to be mapped on the workstation. This will always map that drive letter to that location no matter what workstation the user logs in at. You can then create a Documents directory on the mapped drive and redirect My Documents on the workstation like you suggest. There is a way to create the redirect automatically in the server profiles also but with only 10 users I don't think it is worth the hassle.