Lounger
    Thanks
    We have two routers. My son likes to connect a large and varying variety of wired and wireless devices. These are in the basement where there is no reliable wireless signal. He has his own Netgear wireless WGR614NA (Simplified network diagram attached.) When he installed it, Netgear's technical support said he should set the IP address of the router to the address previously used by his main computer. We use static addressing.

The wireless printer has the main Linksys E3000 set as it's 'Default Gateway'. This is the term used by HP in their status report and it suggests the possibility of a non-default gateway.

Can we configure the HP driver on his machine?
    Can we change the printer to use a non-default gateway in addition to the default gateway?
    Can we change the network configuration?

[attachment=90529:Network.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rigden View Post
    Can we configure the HP driver on his machine?
    Can we change the printer to use a non-default gateway in addition to the default gateway?
    Can we change the network configuration?
    Yes, you should be able to configure the HP driver on his machine, (if the driver is installed on his machine, that is).

Gateways are in order of priority. If #1 is unavailable, #2 is checked. Why would you want to add a gateway?

Yes, you can change the network configuration. What did you have in mind?

Why didn't you post in the Networking forum?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    [font="Georgia"]Gateways are in order of priority. If #1 is unavailable, #2 is checked. Why would you want to add a gateway?
    I'm sorry I failed to notice that the forum truncated my question. It should have read, "How can I connect a wireless printer to the 'wrong' half of a home network."
    The HP installation software appears to expect the printer to be accessed directly from the first router it encounters on the network.

[font="Georgia"]Yes, you can change the network configuration. What did you have in mind?
    A change that would allow my son to access the printer whilst still providing the benefits we gain from the dual router set-up.

Why didn't you post in the Networking forum?
    I have no idea if this is a printer problem, a windows 7 problem, or a networking problem and I thought it bad form to post in all three.

Thanks
    Have your son add the printer to his computer as a local printer, but use its network address.

Click "Add a printer", then "Add a local printer", then "Create a new port", and then for the port name use the printer's network address, something like "//Upstairs/Officejet 8000", or whatever it actually is.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows